1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - 916 engine frame numbers

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by FastFred, Dec 27, 2012.

1. did a bit of snooping and saw you've had it since at least 2012... sorry to learn of your crash sounds awful... im scratching around to find some pennies

good news is that im about to get out of an audi s6 avant that wbac want for a fair price so lets see

2. It went unsold with an estimate of £8000 - £10,000 so must have had a reserve of £8000 (or less) and not made the reserve.

Interestingly a nice 851 Strada went for £3920 following speculation of their value on another recent thread - someone was wanting near £10K for one!!!

Lot 104 - 1991 Ducati 851 Strada

1988 is the year in which the first World Superbike Championship made its debut. Ducati was there on the starting grid with its new bike 851... more info

Estimate£4,000 - £5,500 [​IMG] £3,920

3. good intel Ex

4. If it makes £8k and the reserve is £8K (it cant be more than the low estimate) he will get £6560 after 15% sellers fees and the vat on the fees - so an offer of £6560 should secure it pre sale :)

5. he's holding out for 8.5k private

6. It would need to make more than the high estimate to get that return, and only 4 months after not reaching £8k though :thinkingface: risky :worried:

7. No RC1
    I bought it at Bonham's a few years ago:
    Bonham's Stafford Sale, 17 Oct 2010, lot 364 and I paid about £7,000.

Basically I'm not looking to make any money just to cover my costs of shipping, sale and purchase - any running costs are written off obviously. I ain't greedy! At £8,000 I think a dealer will buy it, tart it and put it back out at £12,000

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sorry - 4 keepers including me. Three of them hardly kept it for any time

9. Hey - if it doesn't get my reserve then it will go back into my living room to be drooled over by me and my mates and hated by my wife

10. So would you accept £6500 which is effectively your reserve after fees? To a Forum member of course :innocent:
    I would be interested if all the panels were dated mid 94, but I guess they are not :(

11. smart arse... i would however be keen to know the same!

12. I would have taken £7,000 which is just my cash back (I know it's worth a lot more than that but I just want it gone). Sadly I have entered it into the auction and if I pull out now I'll face VERY large cancellation fees so if you want it you'll have to bid. Sorry
    Not sure what you mean by all panels being dated '94?

13. fair play... are you comfortable that it is exactly what you think it is and what its described as... you're a law man so im sure you are but just curious esp re the carbon fibre panels bit

14. Hi RC1

I get SO fed up with this quite understandable question
    BUT
    I bought it from Bonham's who said: it is a 916S Monoposto Europa and Ducati themselves have confirmed this too, in writing, from the evidence of the engine numbers and frame numbers, and it is listed in Falloon's book "Ducati 916"- so I'm happy.
    However
    There are a few number of people who tell me categorically that it isn't a 916 - many different reasons are used to back this assertion amongst them being my favourite:
    "It can't be a 916S because they built so few of them . . ."
    Bottom line: I'm happy it is a 916S, Bonhams are happy it's a 916S and Ducati have told me in writing that it's a 916S . . .
    so I'll stand toe to toe with anyone, in any court, that I'm selling a genuine 916S. I dare say it would be more believable if I took all those bloody stickers off it!

15. That's the bit that would stop me buying it - if the panels were all original and dated mid 1994 I would be having a dabble, but if not it is next to impossible to ever collect a set so would only ever be a part original 1st gen bike. This i think is why it didn't sell for £8K last time out, but you might get lucky if people don't know to check these things. Ultimately it will only keep going up in value anyway - but not as much as one with original bodywork.
    I turned down a 94 916 BIP around 3 years ago in goodish nick with a great history file for £5k for this very reason. Every panel was later.

16. Don't think there is an issue here with the frame and engine numbers and your provenance in general :)

17. If it was all perfectly original I'd be asking £15,000 for it!

I honestly think that all the panels are original. Even if they are not I would have thought that it would be quite easy to get replacements.
    It's got the really tricky things to find - toolkit, factory 916 workshop manual and the bike cover and the document bag. Both of the last two were only ever sold with the 916S apparently.
    Anyway if it doesn't sell I'll bring it home and break it as it will fetch more in spares. Bloody pain in the neck to do though.

18. Did you ever check? the ad says carbon fiber which means non original? You will not find June 04 panels which the 94 model year bikes had I don't think.
    £15K? maybe for a first model SP in mint original condition :)

19. Anyhoo, good luck with the sale, I'll have a look if I get there on the day.
    Do you get charged for a non sale?
    Also is there a reserve on it this time as Bonham's usually 'strongly' persuade people to put 'no reserve' - if so what is it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information