1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Help Identifying 999 Forks

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by number9, Oct 8, 2020.

1. no problem mate.. fingers crossed some folk on here will be able to shed some light on what I’ll need to do..

If you have some extra pictures close to the wheel / discs / would be very handy..

I see you have the 749/999 mudguard and callipers fitted..

2. Bringing this back... is this a standard 999/999S front fender (sorry, "mudguard")?

IMG_9598.JPG

The reasons I ask are twofold:

1. It doesn't fit well (this is true of other stuff on the bike too); it's clearly been rubbing on the stanchion in a couple of areas
    2. I'm going to replace it with a CF jobbie at some point but would prefer the 916/996/998 shape. Can you fit a 998 fender on a 999 fork?

3. The leak on my 1198S Ohlins was cured by using a seal mate.

4. It looks like a bit of a gash copy. Heres a pic of my 999 look how close tge mudguard is to the tyre compared to your pic?

IMG_0372.jpg

5. That's the standard 'guard for the gen 1 749/999. Gen 2 is the one in Macca's pic. Either will fit either bike.
    But yours looks like it could be an aftermarket one which is a poor fit.
    I think the mounting points are different on the 916 etc.

6. The bike has an aftermarket tail fairing so it's possible it has an aftermarket front fender too.

Thanks mate, appreciate it! Based on your username you might enjoy this song.

7. I can't help with your bike issue ( sorry ) , but I did want to thank you for that great song from the Whitlams !

And to Dan Kyle I can only say .... Oops !
    You should have got Skyler White to do your accounting ..... :)

" Two Brothers Racing " .... that name rings a distant bell , but I can't remember why .

8. Any time!

Last questions in this thread, hopefully:

Is this the factory 999 master cylinder? I couldn't find good eBay photos to compare against:

IMG_9597 (1).JPG

Are these the factory 999 calipers? They certainly appear to be:

IMG_9598 (1).JPG

The brakes are quite spongy. I'm sure they need to be bled, but before I start I want to make sure I have the right parts on there.

#28 number9, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  9. I recall 999 M/Cs being silver in colour Radial M/Cs IMG_0699.JPG with a coffinesque fluid pot (not remote). Or those on my Mk11 were.

10. Not 999 brake master. Callipers look 999.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks Macca; I thought they were an updated style compared to 916/998. Is this what you were thinking of? eBay link.

My goal isn't to to take the 998 back to stock. But if the 998 and 999 master cylinders have different pushrod lengths or ratios (because the calipers are different), I do need to use the correct MC for the application.

12. Yup that looks to be a 999 m/c .

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. no its an earlier 996/ 998 axial master, 999 masters are radial and silver

caliper are 749/999 but that model were also fitted to the 998s albeit in gold

the 998s uses that combination of the same axial master and P4 calipers

iirc the axial master is 15/16mm the radials are 18mm

14. Got it, thanks!

Good catch. Turns out you 999 owners know what you're on about ;)

Is there a popular upgrade radial master that 749/999 owners go for (e.g. Brembo 19 RCS), or is the OEM master pretty good? This is just a street bike and I am pretty slow.

15. the 18mm oem radial masters fitted to the 749 999 848 1098 1198 panigale SF etc are more than good enough

the 19mm master with the P4 calipers is a bit savage for road use imho

16. Are they all the same, e.g. just find the cheapest and most readily-available one?

17. internally they are mostly the same . there are differences such as some models have mirror mounts on the clamp or body (SF monster diavel multistarda), also the 749/999 (and poss diavel) came with integrated reservoirs but can be adapted to remote reservoirs for £15
    they also vary in colour and the styling a bit

ideally you should look for an complete 848/1098/1198 one, it should be fairly simple to bolt on,
    i notice you have dual brake lines . radial masters have banjo fitting on the bottom, so you might need a radial/axial banjo adaptor to stop the lines from fouling the tank or frame
    like this
    https://www.eurobikes.uk/accossato-...-adapter-clutch-brake-motorcycle-scooter-7400

18. My recently acquired 2004 999 has Ohlins front forks but the rest appears to be a standard Biposto.

However, the manual shows the bottom adjuster being on the outside of the fork lower, whereas the standard Showa forks need a screwdriver inserted up and through the axle.

I can't find any external adjuster and there is access up from the bottom as per the standard forks (I haven't tried finding the adjuster and the correct size screwdriver or allen key yet.)

I'm assuming the forks are off a 999S but does anyone else have the internal rather than external lower adjuster?

19. Good question, I'll have a look when I'm back with the bike. Will see how they compare to the pic. Many thanks.

20. Sev

Many thanks, the old fashioned type (axial?), just had a look and they are on the rear face of the stanchion lower.

Charles.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information