1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Help Please. Value Of 916...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ResB1299, Sep 30, 2017.

1. I have been offered a 916 tonight which is supposed to be a nice bike. I have not seen the bike in the flesh but will do over the next day or so.

A friend sent me over a few images of the bike and wondered if anyone can help me with what it is, whether it's desirable and maybe a realistic price for it.

It's on a '98 plate (R) and has 12,000 miles. I've been told it has the single seat monoposta (what ever that's supposed to mean!), new MOT, new Tyres and chain and sprockets. I can only assume the white "916" decals are a joke but if the bike is mint, who cares.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. Looks like the wheels have been painted.
    Biposto subframe with single seat fitted.
    Old style fork bottoms for 40mm calipers.
    Stickers may be a joke but would be a sign of being previously owned by somebody who was possibly not prepared to do stuff correctly - I would steer clear on that basis alone, if it were me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It comes down to price and whether there is any paperwork/history with it.

4. As previously said its all about price.
    I've had my 916 Biposto since new some 23 years ago now.
    I've fitted only ever fitted genuine Ducati Performance parts to it.
    The bike you have pics of white decals on fairing and tank are non std?
    The wheels are poorly painted in the wrong colour?
    Mirrors painted too, it also has a strange looking screen too non std?
    Rear seat unit is nice one to have off a earlier Strada. (single seat version)
    With a bit of service history included with this one the price £4500 to £5k.
    Good hunting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you for your opinions everyone, some valuable information there. :upyeah: The guy wants £7k, which he was never going to get from me and if I'm totally honest I guessed at £5k at a push.

After all three of your comments I'm not going to take this any further, my gut is saying to stay away on this occasion.

I don't know about the paperwork or history and had it been completely standard and completely original I would have taken a further look. Gotta love this forum and it's all due to it's members who are real enthusiasts. Thanks for your time fellas. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 5-6k but you wouldn't lose much I expect. They don't build them anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  7. From the pictures: The side fairings are pre '98, it could be a '97 'leftover' that was registered in '98 but then it has the '98 nose fairing and tank (no logos) so I doubt it, it has later model (998 style ) red mirrors, wheels have been painted as they would have been frame coloured, mono seat but on a biposto subframe with a suede/alcantara seat, carbon fibre airbox is not original (but a nice addition), aftermarket rearsets, the exhausts look to be the originals but polished? and the 40mm calipers are correct for 916 - they changed to 65mm with the 996.

I suppose some changes are to be expected (mine has many more) and I'm not saying the above things are bad, so if it runs OK and appears in good condition then none would be a deal breaker for me anyway - buy on condition.

The price however seems a bit steep, even if it was 100% original...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Some more great information, thank you kindly. :upyeah:

9. 12k miles is a big service. £££

10. The rear sets look as if they're Gilles. Those 916 stickers offend me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Me too...

12. Me too, but it's likely they are just stickers as I doubt (hope?) that anyone would go to the trouble of lacquering them into the panel so should be easily removed, along with the ones on the side of the tank...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. How can you tell it has a Biposta rear subframe, is the monoposta seat at the wrong angle or something else?

14. It has the bolt holes/lugs for the passenger feet pegs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wow, that's great eyesight, I clearly need to get mine checked!!

16. Geeks notice this kind of thing.

I have an sp subframe on my bip. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information