1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Help!! Stranded!!! Steering Lock

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bjohnson, Dec 2, 2015.

1. What's the problem with the centre stand ?

2. Maybe its just me, the stand is fine, but I miss the grab handle of the old bike. the effort required is less, but one has to bend sideways down to the pasenger foothanger. Its not good for the back. My dealer showed me a different way which is to stand abreast with the bike and use a reverse grip. Less control.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. This is really starting to worry me. Leaving in April on a hopefully epic overland trip to Turkey.
    Imagine the stick I'm gonna get from the GS boys if my stearing lock won't come off!!

4. Just don't put it on. Disk lock only. If they moan and take the piss just say they are only using steering locks and not disc locks, because nobody wants to steal farm plant in Turkey.

5. I have always thought that about the three Ducatis I have owned and in actual fact they have never let me down, unlike my K1300S.

6. Well, I don't want to tempt fate, but it seems it may be starting...

It would be now as I'm on the 2nd day of a 6 day trip through Malaysia into Thailand.

The engine kinda dies but not completely and the orange warning lights come on on the dash intermittently. This is happening when under load, and seems rectifiable by clutching in and giving it some revs.

It seems like it may be something simple like a blocked breather tube because it's only happened twice yesterday in 700km so I'm gonna carry on today and see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

7. Right now I'm stuck in Keswick (lakes) with steering lock. AA trying to take out the steering locking but they can't without damaging surrounding bodywork etc.. any advice?

8. if she stalls when at low speed with throttle closed, its bad fuel and needs a throttle body cleaning to fix

9. I'm with MCE insurance and steering lock activation is a requirement when parked!!

10. never use it & always carry spare fob battery. Swap it out & even use PIN sysyem to engage ignition which will/should disable sterring lock. Hope you get back the rest of your day'

#31 GunZenBomZ, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mine had an ingenious system of ensuring it never got stuck on... it never worked to even engage the lock! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. My hands free unit failed last week and wasn't related to the key for battery. The dash display came on but the steering wouldn't unlock. The red key didn't help either.

#33 Bandit, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  13. How does not engaging the steering lock help the handsfree unit?

14. I would love a Ducati Multistrada but when I read stuff like this and fuel tank sensors, etc I just scares me off. I have a Yamaha Super Tenere and I would be the first to admit that it doesn’t exactly have “soul” but I really want a reliable bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. On my third MTS and never had an electronics fault. Had two BMW’s from new and one R1200RT LE had to be replaced after 6 days with an electronics fault the dealer and BMW couldn’t find (eventually turned out to be a bus failure).

16. Holy thread resurrection :confused:

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Sorry to report my dvt did the steering lock thing also , was a bastard to recover as had to drag it a good way to the tow truck. Also had catastrophic failures with fuel sensor, ignition relay, warped disc, oil seal behind belts, Centre stand fell off one side, coolant reservoir splitting twice! etc etc
    Got rid after 20Tkm!
    Had twin spark and 2010 model also beforehand and both were better bikes imo

18. The handsfree unit is the device that controls keyless on/off/ steering lock.

19. And thats the dilemma the Ducatis have bags of soul. Mines 5 year old now. Love it. Best & most entertaining bike I've had in 20 something bikes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information