1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With My First Sports Ducati For 15 Years............

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Red Steve/Yellow Dave, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Always two it would seem, both with Cream... :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. I'm with the 899 brigade:grinning: If you enjoyed your 748 then the 899 will feel like a modern version, not powerful enough or with the torque to launch you, a better riding position, smooth, feels lighter and can be pushed more than the bigger bikes for those of us with modest abilities.

3. Two wrongs don’t make a right o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Have to agree with the majority here, 1198S all the way, took a 1299 for a test ride a few months ago and a fantastic bike with great electronics but far less involving or satisfying to ride "quickly" than my SP.
    If you go for the S and it has a DP QS I'd suggest switching it off, it will damage the gearbox, the traction control is quite basic and far too intrusive, especially on track.
    If you're only likely to use it on the road get the suspension set up "professionally" for real road conditions and taking a tooth off the front sprocket will make it a bit more user friendly around town. An SP has a bit higher spec and are a little rarer but for a good one will probably set you back a couple of k more than your budget. Good luck with whatever you choose..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for this Kartman. Whilst my abilities will never be a match for the bike, I think that also applies to all of the bikes in my "hit list". That said, it's always nice to know the performance is there if needed, and I think I'm sold on the looks alone and with one eye on future values I've decided that the 1198s is what I want. This is the bike I've made an initial enquiry about. ..[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ha ha, it also applies to most of the people replying to this post, sadly including myself! I have a mental image now of you jumping on a modern sportsbike after a long time away and having your arms pulled out of their sockets as you trail horizontally behind it so thanks for that! (Nice looking bike BTW. Do it!)

7. I would not buy a bike with drilled fairing sides for the fitting of crash bungs - deffo a no no! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. OP: How tall are you?

I had a 1098S and it was brilliant, but the only thing that spoiled it slightly for me was the tall back to the tank. I am 5' 8" and could comfortably get both feet down, but the reach was such that I bruised my ribs on that tall tank when tucked in on track-days. Just be sure to make sure that the ergonomics suit you before you splash your cash.

9. As correctly pointed out by Stu above. Be aware that crash bobbins means drilled fairings on the 1198 which is a big no no for many people... One of the things I learnt in my search and ended up avoiding.

The standard seat is also rubbish, I replaced mine with the superpole seat which is brilliant (about £160 new) and coming down a tooth on the front sprocket to 14T makes lower speed riding much more pleasant when passing through villages and towns whilst out :upyeah:

They are great bikes which you will find out for yourself when you bag one, be patient and the right bike will come along... Good luck with your search and keep us posted with ;)

10. Not sure why some people have such a "thing" about crash bobbins; if you want the protection they afford the fairings must be drilled. If it's the only thing putting someone off buying a bike, couldn't they be filled and the fairings painted?

11. If I ever go on "Room 101", crash bungs are my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice, just to make sure they go in. :mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. I think I've seen that photo before, I wonder if it is someone off this Forum that is selling this bike?

13. I'm 6' 3"

14. Interesting MoT history. Ohlins fork seal failure is not uncommon but rear brake hose failure is. The bike has certainly moved around the country in its life but looks looked after and had a recent desmo service. Could do a lot worse IMO. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. 3 lefts do.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Looks like a well-looked after example. Do you know if the white number boards are vinyl or painted on? If the former you can always take them off if you decide you don't like them (I'm in two minds about them - sometimes I quite like them, other times I think the bike's just pretending to be a 1098R; unfortunately the ones on mine are painted on so I'd have to really dislike them to get rid...). Only you know how you feel about crash bungs! One other plus, it's just had the big (valve clearance) service so that's something you don't have to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ok chaps a quick update. I've had the dealer send me over a couple of photos of the crash bungs to look at the quality of the installation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also he's supplied a full service history breakdown:

1) Service book stamped as below.

Ducati Aylesbury 5579 miles 28/8/10

Ducati Aylesbury 6179 miles 12/01/11 (Belts done)

Ducati Aylesbury 9265 miles 20/02/14 (Belts done)

Ducati Aylesbury 10387 miles 19/03/15

Ducati Bridgwater (Riders) 11902 miles 08/05/17 (Belts, Valves, Plugs)

2) Invoices present as below.

Ducati Aylesbury invoice for 10387 mile service above (£224.01)

Ducati Bridgwater invoice for 11902 mile service above (£924.84)

+ additional invoices:-

Ducati Aylesbury 8129 miles 31/05/11 (New Diablo Supercorsas £312.01)

GT Motorcycles Plymouth 04/04/17 (New rear brake caliper/pads £163.36)

M&P Direct 24/08/16 (New regulator/rectifier £65.49)

Moto Rapido 29/03/17 (Carbon tank protector) £22.50

North Cornwall Motorcycles 06/04/17 (New Diablo Supercorsas £365)

3) MOTs present

15/06/13 9211 miles

19/02/14 9265 miles

27/02/15 10264 miles

08/2/17 12356 miles

18. Hi Steve,

With regards to the service history...

- I believe the first service should have been at 600 miles
    - No mention of the first Valve Clearance Checks being complete which is due at 7.5k
    - By the book, belts should be done every 2 years... Doesn't look like they have been from the above.
    - I guess there is no further evidence of servicing being complete in between these?? The bike was obviously in use between when the belts were overdue as it was MOT'd June 2013...

Maybe it is just me that likes things to be all in order and well documented... However, the ownership experience wouldn't be so enjoyable if I had niggling doubts about whether the bike was right.

If it can be demonstrated through a paper trail that there is valid reasons for the service dates being out of sync (i.e the bike was laid up and the recorded mileage on invoices/MOT's backs this up) that is fair enough in my view. I can't see that in this case though.

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether this is the right bike for you... However, if the previous owners(s) have cut corners and scrimped on servicing, what else could they have cut corners on??

HTH,
    Ben

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'd want new side panels !! End of ! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information