1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Help

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by fishead, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ok, I had to get recovered last w,end as I run out of electricity, found flywheel had come loose wiped the stator an stator drum out snapped the stator bolts from the l/hcase
    got an engineers shop to drill out the broken bolts, all good. bought new genuine ducati stator and drum [genuine not cheap bits], flushed oil cleaned strainer ect ect, fitted it all up, all went together nice, dowels in place ect, torqueing an Loctite on flywheel nut, run it up all good

went out yest all ok, got 50 miles going through city temperature rose, fan cut in ect pulling up to traffic lights had a good squeal, pulled over to check brakes ect incase something had flung up an got stuck somewhere, nothing obvious, started up off I went 5 min later engine locked up locking back wheel then freed but was dead, pulled over an good bit of oil dripping

got recovered again

stripped it, looks like stator/drum expanded an locked up an has torn stator from cover an its all in a very bad way !
    im gonna go to ducati tomorrow an try blag parts warranty on the stator an drum if I can as its jus cost me £500 an to redo it with a new cover will be another £1200 ish !!!

has this been known to happen before ?

is there any school boy error I could've made fitting ?
    I have factory [998] and Haynes manual [996] experienced mechanic an I took my time an did it to best I could as I always do

is there any other model l/h cases that will fit the 998bip ok ?
    ducati want like £700 for a new one an told me theyre 998 specific

does anybody have a spare l/h cover theyd like to sell me ?

any help and advice would be massively appreciated

#1 fishead, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. 749/999 parts may fit

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Do you mean cover rather than cases?

4. As the 998 and 999 both use the Testastretta motor, I’d have thought there was at least some chance a 749/999 cover would fit.
    Looks like you’ve been seriously unlucky, it’s earlier engines that are reckoned to be more prone to the alternator nut coming loose.
    It happened to my SS but I was much luckier and it only took out a pick-up.

#4 Old rider, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  5. I think the stator wasn't fastened correctly on the cover. The threads could have been compromised in the cover when it was repaired.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Bearing may have seized on the outrigger.
    Without looking it's hard to diagnose

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Have seen the threads on the nut damaged before, where it was rattling on the crank.

Did you use a new nut?

8. sorry yes cover not case

the thread all looked good an true, that's why I got engineer to do it rather than myself, so it was accurate and straight, I know him well he was confident it was all good

bearing is ok, got swarf in it now but runs smooth

checked the threads crank an nut, all ok no damage had just come loose, no problem there its still tight

thank you very much for the ideas

9. Main bearing u/s on the alt side?

10. If you hear noises after a rebuild, investigate properly, don't ride off again.... :(

11. 749 cover doesn't fit, may do if 749 water pump, fly an genny are used but the cover using 998 bits doesn't fit

12. If you hear noises after a rebuild, investigate properly, don't ride off again.... :(

didn't ride off with it still squealing did I !
    on start up no noise so recovery would've said there was nothing wrong an sent me on my way
    what would you suggest 50 miles away from my workshop ?

13. ok been doing some thread searching ect ect

quick question

what up and down movement if any is exeptable on the crank l/h generator side main bearing ?

many thanks

14. I would say zero, otherwise you've got a knackered main bearing

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information