1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helping Bikers By The Roadside.

Discussion in 'Rideouts & Events' started by CAT3, Sep 20, 2020.

1. I came across a broken down biker on the M25 a couple of years ago having just dropped my bike off for a euro event so was in a van, he had called the AA 5 minutes earlier and been quoted 90 mins minimum, so we got the ramp out, strapped it down and I had him home in under 30 mins and it was on my way anyhow ..... he couldn't believe his luck !!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. sorted for you...

• Like Like x 1
  3. DAT be right ;-)

4. I gave Bradders some water and chocolate in Belgium, when the BMW went pop.... lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Broke down 20 miles south of Aberystwyth recently (fried alternator). I was with a small group but a range rover driver stopped, helped try and bump start (lots of locked rear wheel), was offered a lock up to store bike but I have AA cover so went with that. Pulled into a chalet park and after many hours waiting was offered use of a chalet. Initially declined but when it turned out AA couldn't help recover until following morning I gratefully accepted the offer of a bed for the night.

I did leave my details to pay but as yet haven't received an invoice.

Getting home was still a farce involving bike traveling via 2 recovery trucks and me traveling by taxi and 3 trains but got a few quid back from AA for costs incurred.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Isn't there supposed to be a 'universal' sign of distress of placing the helmet on the ground behind the bike?

7. Always ... well generally, if I see a bike stopped at the side of the road, I'll slow and give an OK sign and look questioningly at them, not sure they can see my look through a dark visor. As yet, I've always got a thumbs up in return.

But, just to balance the "bikers never stop" argument.

April 2017, First day out on my new to me Gen 2 Diavel, fuel gauge read OK, but I still ran out of fuel on the M1 slip road near Donington Park. Sticking fuel sender after the bike had been sat in dealership all winter with half a tank of fuel in it. I'd phoned the AA, but while I sat there a Harley slowed to see if I was OK and then a guy from here, in a van, stopped to see if I was ok. He'd just dropped his bike off at Donington to be shipped abroad for a track day. All his kit, including petrol cans etc were with the bike. AA came, topped up 2 gallons of fuel and all sorted.

Same bike a couple of years later, puncture in the rear tyre 2 miles from home, out came the AA card again. While I waited, an "adventure type with boxes and storage everywhere" bike stopped and offered my a plug kit for the tyre, but said it was old and he had no idea how it worked, or if the small gas bottles still worked. While we sorted it, a second "adventure type with boxes and storage everywhere" stopped and he had a compressor. Between the 3 of us, we plugged the tyre, inflated it and I got home.

As a result of these 2 incidents, I am more than willing to slow and see if a stopped biker is OK.

• Like Like x 2
  8. True story that ;) Hope it's sorted now Ed.

A few years ago, on the Multistrada 2 up with panniers, coming back from somewhere even further up north, we got a puncture on a B road, pulled over, bike onto centre stand, puncture couldn't be repaired so called for recvoery, it's going to be a couple of hours they said. I was pretty disgusted when a group of about 10 hi-vis wearing BMW riders pulled out from the junction up the road and came sailing past, not one of them acknowledged or made eye contact with us :bucktooth:. On the plus side 2 car drivers asked if they could help, one of them twice as we were still there when he cam back :confused:.

If I see a bike by the roadside, I always slow down and give :upyeah: and wait for a response, half the time you don't get one :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Imagine the scene (if you will) when I last called for recovery (I think that it was with my insurance, "Liverpool and Victoria " giving me AA or RAC) You are in a Bath Car Park (where my bike was left because the work car park was being resurfaced) and right in front of the railway station, where I could get a train to my local station a few miles away from my house. I have a flat battery because I must of left in in 'park' all day.

After at least two hours I dying for a slash and hungry) I give up and get the train home. Then cancel my membership and bring my car in the next day with a battery charger. Next day it is train in, refit battery as I left it on charge in the office. Yes, when I get mobile again, I doubt if I will ever break down at such a convenient place but I definitely won't renew with the AA or RAC.

10. Unfortunately, there have been instances, where good Samaritans have stopped to assist drivers with problems.
    Only to have their own vehicles stolen, these scumbags are making rod users think twice about assisting other road users.

11. Always stop, in car or on bike

Always had people stop, usually 99.9999% bikers

Always get stopped, by the filth

12. Always have 6 cell maglite, with working batteries to hand to help identify the hazard to fellow road users your honour

13. Got given a tow once when the trusty SP cut out while riding through Brooklands. A great gent in an old 3 Series BMW stopped. He had a tow rope so he towed me home - wouldn't even come in for a cup of tea! I tend to stop and ask, just in case. Mnd you, short of giving a lift, or a run for petrol I would probably be more of a hindrance than a help...! o_O

14. Started off like this for many years but a few experiences changed this sadly. One of my best memories on the receiving end was when I was pushing my car home having run out of fuel. Must have been around midnight and this lovely old couple stopped and insisted on towing me although it was only half a mile to go. I still remember how they worked as a team, sorting out the towrope without even a torch, wouldn't let me help, a really special memory that one, a couple of Angels*.

*no, not that sort..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Angels come in all forms of disguises when we need them help & assistance.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information