1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helppp!! Leathers Advice

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Advikaz, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Hi all, i'm in the market for a new one piece and so far have narrowed it down to the Dainese Laguna Seca D11 or the Alpinestars GP Plus v2...

I have tried them on today and they couldn't be much more different, the dainese feels a lot heavier and harder to move in (I'm sure it'll give) the alpine stars feels like I'm hardly wearing it although the guy in the shop said that Dainese is simply better than alpinestars stuff..

Any thoughts? I currently have gp pro gloves and Supertech R boots which are okey, but i would say the dainese stuff feels better made possibly?!

I like the alpinestars look but I want it to last and above all else be safe and the guy in the shop said that the dainese stuff is better made and safer and is one of the only suits the be COMPLETELY CE approved whereas the alpinestars one is only the armour thats approved.

Any advice or opinions welcomed :)

#1 Advikaz, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Dainese gets my vote, study the interior stitching. They should be overlapped on the seam for less ability to tear open. Thicker leathers means longer or rather less road rash or skin grafts.

3. There was a link posted to the second installment of the article about leathers avaiable in the UK about a month ago. There are a lot more suits available that are as good as if not better than Dainese, even made to measure for a similar price or less. The Hideout is a good place to look as is arc-on, Furygan and Held. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've got an Alpinestars suit and had it for years, still looks as good as the current crop as it's a black design and as far as I'm concerned it's really good quality.

Haven't crashed in it thank God but I think ultimately it's up to you.

Me I'd wear what is most comfortable in terms of fit. No point in having a suit you're restricted in or that doesn't feel right.

Having said that all my two piece leathers are Dainese, I just find them a better fit in two piece but alpinestars better in one piece, go figure

5. echo the above and fit is paramount. do dig out that article because its dispels a few myths

6. No what you asked but Scott leathers made to measure take some beating for value for me - and good enough for Bruce Anstey good enough for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anyone got a link

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. dainese for me. worn them for years and bought an alpinestars atem suit which i wore 3 times before going back to dainese

9. Have a look at alienmoto.se

10. I was in the same position as you are and chose Dainese, it feels a lot safer than the Alpinestars just trying them on. Dainese quality is as good as you will get for the money

11. I was in the same position as you are and chose Dainese, it feels a lot safer than the Alpinestars just trying them on. Dainese quality is as good as you will get for the money

12. Had both in the past and they seem much of a muchness in my opinion. Had alpine for years and they held up really well (including an off). Currently running dianese, but only because I'm with a posh missus now and she likes the brand and wants me in the best :joy:

I do like that the ti plates on dianese can be replaced because I'm forever scuffing mine on doors etc...

13. Anyone buying new leathers should read that article! It's an real eye opener!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. not all leathers are made equal and more money does not always equal better performance

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. If you can stretch (sic) to a made-to-measure one piece it's really worth it. Arc-on get very good reviews.

16. Interesting reading

17. Hideout for me. Made to measure, quite heavy but beautifully made.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. That dainese Laguna seca d1 is ce level two (the whole suit) so surely not bad?

19. I dont think the leathers that are worn by our hero bike racers are the same as those 'off the peg'.

Pukka race suits are circa £1800/£2000.. Where 'Off the Peg' Alps or Dia can be purchased as low as £300/£500...

I would also consider Kangaroo Leathers...They are very strong and light compared to Cow Hide Leathers....

Also watch out for suits, that are sold on certain internet sites, are fake copies............

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information