1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Hey Help Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ducati levi, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Don’t worry, it will only bother you when it burns :bomb:
    :):upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. :scream::scream:

3. So what can @WAYNE do to prevent a meltdown? Apart from remove the LiFePo battery and replace with lead acid. Change the reg/rec? What for? Change the entire charging system? Carry a foam fire extinguisher?

Open question, asking for a friend.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I do remember when picking the 996 from Snells for a few issues i wanted them to look at i mentioned putting a lithium battery in and the mechanic who dealt with the bike(can't remember his name) who was a really sound guy and was really busy at the time so it wasn't an in depth talk, said about doing something when using a lithium battery, i'll ring Snells up monday and find out but he didn't say it was a potential fire hazard or the like.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Not sure if it's applicable or not, I think the LiFe batteries have slightly different charge voltages which are slightly lower than conventional Lead Acid.

So quite apart from the low internal resistance meaning they can accept and reject more charge per unit time than a lead acid, a conventional Reg/Rec could also be charging them at near their upper limit voltage wise.

One more thing is the Reg/Rec reference it's pretty common (dunno about Ducati specifically) that the earthing on the reg/rec ends up with a resistance component due to bad/corroded connections to earth and this leads the voltage sensing to think the voltage in the system is lower than it actually is. The result is that the battery gets sent an even higher charge voltage.

I'm far from an expert on this just saying what I see as some of the problems (of course I could be talking outta my arse)

Be interesting to hear what your mechanic has to say about it @WAYNE

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yep, ditch LIpo on an 848 evo, told to me by an auto electrician who advises against using them in any bike without a digital/mosfet ref Rec. the reason being that the charge voltages just aren’t stable enough and cause danger, and, well, what you have had

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Check your bike has has the heat shield recall done for the regulator / battery if you're planning on running oem regulator again too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information