1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by craig, May 14, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone - I've had my Hypermotard 796 for 3 years now and thoroughly enjoy it. But I've gone and done something stupid - and now need some help :-(

... I connected a new battery in the dark. And now my bike doesn't start. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box, and there is also a solitary 30 amp fuse near the battery, which does not look blown. Any ideas anyone ... please??????????????? :) :)

2. Hi.
    Did you reverse the polarity when you connected it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes - I did Ricky :-( :-( :-(

4. Oooer....

I would start with replacing the big fuse and looking at all the others too. Hopefully the electric system has a safeguard against this type of thing...

I once jump started my 916 from a car with the leads reversed....the battery exploded instantly! New battery and all was fine. Doh.

5. it could be the flux capaciter

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 1.21 gigawatts !

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. or the mcglogwire

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hello and welcome into the mad house tinkering man
    Hope you get sorted
    Do you like red :D

9. Thanks for all the warm welcomes and suggestions! Let me replace the 30 (even though it looks good) and will see if that allows her to start again. It didnt go bang at all - so hoping my mistake isn't a biggie. Read elsewhere others who performed a similar mistake had to replace their ECU. :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

10. I am uber cautious with electrics (other than when changing my own battery of course) and the thought of a battery exploding makes me shit my pants!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  11. Who said I didn't!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wipe Wipe x 1
  12. Welcome Dave. You need to replace the vulva valve :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Hiya :D

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  14. Welcome... Fixed it?

15. Fixed? ... alas, no. I replaced the 30 amp large fuse near the battery (it wasn't burnt out) and then went through the fuses in the box set to the right of the engine. These are the micro type and again, none of them appeared to be burnt out - I didn't replace these (too many) but I did remove and check them. So it now looks like I will have to take it to the dealer for them to diagnose with their equipment. I cannot believe (a, how dumb I was to replace the battery in the dark) why there is no easy solution for such an easy mistake to make. So my local Ducati dealer cannot take a look now for 3 weeks - looks like I am trapped in my car for the best weather of the year :-( :-(

16. PS - not sure why my logo shows me as being located in the states - I am in fact in the UK (which is what it says in my profile).

17. Was that 30 fuse a spare? I reversed the polarity on my KTM (motobatt batteries have 2 sets of poles and I fit backwards o_O). Starter motor started whirring away immediately and I couldn't figure out why. Left the battery in, but disconnected. Took a pic and went and sat down indoors for a bit of a think. It was in the pic the problem was spotted. 30 amp fuse had blown so I replaced it and that was it.

18. I bought a few new 30 amp fuses and tried them all. I can only see one socket near the battery where I can fit a fuse - so I am assuming this is the socket, and not a storage location for a spare. Let me take a couple of snaps tonight and will share em - just got tickets for Donnington WSBK this weekend so desperate to repair it asap!

19. Hi Ducbird - I do like red - although my scoot is white!! :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information