1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Hi Speed Weave

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by clarkey231, May 1, 2015.

1. Happens to all high up tourers, if the wind catches you leaning over ease of the power a tad. It's not like a towing caravan weave were too save it you speed up.

2. It happens at +150Mph....Mutleys haven't got much more to go!

4. Okay,

After winding the pre load up to 24 it is loads better. Made sure I tested it thourouly and had plenty of 'pressing on' runs and felt fine even in blustery conditions.

Thanks to all those who offered help!

• Like Like x 1
  5. So the pre load as helped ,is 24 the max pre load setting , ideally if you measure rider sag and its in range at max pre load you may need a heavier spring rating ..... that or ease up on the pies and chocolate .... snigger !!

6. I'm not convinced the normal rules of sag apply to skyhook, as its more to do with the systems range of adjustment and what the brain thinks is 'right' than how the bike sits as standstill

7. Sorry yeah it's skyhook ....was thinking op meant 24 clicks on a manual preload adjuster Doh !

8. Yes Skyhook, it was on 8 but being big I just went straight to max but I may tweek it down a bit but liked the ease of turn in now so may just keep it as is. I came from a 2002 929 Blade which dropped in so easily that I became used to its quick steering.

Am pleased anyway that there is wriggle room on pies and ale!

Cheers again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I've had a few moments when braking from full throttle to a sweeping corner entry and the front seems to weave but control comes back to me as fast as it left. A bit disconcerting when entering a corner at 90 mph. I've played with the Ohlins set up and have it set up around the Track settings, but the bike still weaves no matter what settings I use, the track setting I have at moment suit my ride style with the front rebound one click firmer than track. I am considering a steering damper, £650 for Ohlins or the Scott system, not made my mind up yet which to use. I dont like fastening to the tank as in the Ohlins set up but I can't see any option. Any ideas would be appreciated? The bike gets used on track days and for fast road. I am still running the original Scorpion tyres so if any of you have any better track/fast road tyre preferences that information would be appreciated too.

10. TOP BOX, you may have answered my problem, I only get my weave when doing fast road work, but never had it on track days! The penny has just dropped! Many thanks

11. I agree - top boxes can cause wobble / weave very easily; but also if the headstock bearing adjustment is too tight, it will cause a serious weave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Firstly, ditch the tyres for trackdays. M7RR seem to be good rubber (not used myself)

Secondly, it is likely you are moving your weight around after you have started braking. I found the multi really doesn't like movement on the bike and been ap upright can cause instability.

You could try moving all you weight while upright and accelerating then brake and get ready to turn. Mine still moves about a bit but after a few laps it becomes real fun: it's like it makes you into a riding god as it's all out of shape then just drops back in line.

But you are describing why I have bought an old gixer for trackdays ... :)

I do notice if it's really bumpy on the road it does too but again reckon it's either transfer (even when sitting upright) and super strong brakes making the rear light.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yup my skyhook 2013 weaves at about 135 mph with the top box fitted even though it wasnt loaded up .... my bike is set up very firm as i came from sports bikes and also non fork dive GS telelever. I can also get a general feeling of the front end being light but not weaving at about 100 on fast sweeping bends which i just put down to the wide bars and a more central weight balance than on sports bikes which are more front end weighted

• Like Like x 1
  14. My 2010 was solid as a rock at 145 with full luggage and a passenger. Solid as a rock at 150 with top box too. I did have the mechatronic SCU on, not sure if that made a difference.

15. Come to think of it mine weaved before i messed around with the suspension and firmed everything up and i cant remember it doing it since .....must give it a wind up and see if it still does it ;)

16. My weave is more under braking into fast corners as I get my knee down and the bike is slowing towards an apex, its a mixture of weave and yaw as the bike pitches forward slightly, thinking about it I shall try trail braking the rear that may stabilise the yaw?

17. I just think it's weight transfer, combo of bike and rider moving about on top . I get that a lot more on dvt than previous model.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yes, I am going to try trail braking the rear to load the rear more as weight transfer seems to be an issue on the front as my body shifts forward on corner entry, great re-learning curve from my Sports Bikes (which I still ride, but much less frequently now I've the Multi)

19. When I had my Triumph Explorer the Givi Top Box was mounted on a sliding base that oscillated at high speed reducing the weave effect, even the panniers were on a shared swivel damper and swung left and right in unison, again to reduce airflow effects at high speed. That bike was rock solid at 140mph fully loaded. BUT it was just too heavy for flicking around bends and the feedback through the bars was non existent, it felt like I was steering on the throttle only through rear tyre.

20. Yes, I do move about while braking into a fast corner, I move my weight forward and place my knee slider on the deck but this action makes the bike lighter at the rear (increasing weave and yaw) so I will try more trail braking to counter next dry day out. I'm not sure about the linked brake effect on the bike balance though, there will be some input I don't really want but I am not sure how to get rid of the linked braking. Can it be restricted via the ECU dash inputs?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information