1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi To All Monster Owners, Need Advise On 1200s.

Discussion in 'Monster' started by TanCakar, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Hi to all monster owners not new to Ducati but new to this forum. I have been reading some and already sign up as it's Uk and really good. I used to have 2011 Diavel carbon but I sold it after I need to do lots of motorway miles and touring .

Anyway my question to monster 1200s owners is very direct. :) last week I bought an 2015 Aprilia Tuono V41100 rr with a long test ride with the exhaust system it cost me around a shy £14500. I use bikes normally commuting, weekend riding and bike meets and some fun riding but mainly two up. Yes I know what you are thinking why did I bother with aprilia ? It was so smooth and so good I couldn't believe it was a aggressive v4 launch control , wheelie control , traction control, racing abs, 3 modes it's crazy and it was comfortable without pillion and with pillion you must put some risers to the bars. I came from touring bikes and they are far too difficult in the city I though I want something light but still could do some little tour and weekend blast this is why I bought aprilia but this happend I need to ask your advise !

I have been riding 10 years may be this is my 8th bike never ever seen 12 mpg in the city riding ! I first couldn't believe and though it's the computer but with full tank in the city kent to London commute the tank last 55 miles! Tuono sorted the low rpm business and the torque was good at low rpm was able to pull around 2500-3000 rpm with two up. I said to my self this must be because the bike is so new! It's got 300 miles now. But every two days petrol station visits even the cheeky petrol station cashier said I see you very quickly :)

Everything was great on the bike Racing abs and the traction control is the one of the best in the class I could say but that doesn't mean this bike is civilise with 175 hp and 115 torque at 185 kg.

Since my wife was happy on the back of me I didn't care less about petrol but then this happen ! Yesterday first time it's rain since I got the bike , my wife was soaked! And not only wet but also muddy that beautiful 190 Diablo corsa throw so much mud that I even got some ! So called the dealer said that I am your pain in the ass customer :) and I am sorry but I am bringing this bike back after spending that much money this is not expectable even a diavel didn't do this to me :)

So here I am going to my dealer tomorrow to test ride the monster 1200 s with wifey.

So the question to you guys !

Will it easy to live with ?
    Is it comfy then the tuono?
    Don't care about the horse power but will it got enough grunt ?
    Will I see very bad petrol spend I don't mind 28-35 mpg in city
    Is it good two up ( and I know it's not a tourer but just want to know alittle )

Thank you all

image.jpg

2. I really like my 1200s. I'm 6'2 and it is as comfy as any other sporty bike, more so than my Tuono v2.
    Ohlins suspension is creamy. Engine modes cater for every scenario.
    Not long after I got it I was battling through gridlocked Manchester, putting it In urban mode makes it very civilised. Sport makes it laught out loud grunty. Can't say about pillion comfort, but your wife may get a bit wet, as in the rain my backpack gets a soaking

3. I have changed to a 1200s from a MY13 Multistrada. The Monster is fabulous.
    Comfortable, torquey, fast, handles great, sounds awesome.
    Don't know about pillion as I have a cover in place and doubt if I will ever take a pillion.
    Fuel consumption is great. Just running in, but town and open road combined is over 40 mpg. Not much different to my old Multi.

I nearly went for a Tuono, so glad I made the right choice!

4. Ha - I went the opposite way and bought a new Tuono V4. The Monster 1200S was too soft and cruiser-like for me when I went from my beloved 1098 Streetfighter.

Still, the Monster has character, has the looks and the nice bicycle parts. I dont like the rear sets and the heat shield. I don't carry pillions anymore and like to remove pillion pegs, ball ache with the M1200S. Same with my M1100 in fact. This isn't going to bother you though.

I'm 40+ and 6'2". The pegs on the M1200S are similar height to your Tuono. The heat shield may obstruct your feet if you ride on the balls of your feet like I do. You get used to it.

Plenty of torque. It doesn't ride like a super-naked, feels softer; more mini-Diavel than naked sportsbike.

M1200S is a nice bike. Not for me though. I'm sticking on the Tuono until Ducati produce another Streetfighter/super-naked.

5. The M1200S is comfortable for a pillion and damn good fun. It does 44-47 mpg or 130 miles to reserve (not enough).

admittedly its no savage Tuono 1000 or Superduke 990 - and i miss that. But then that's modern ECUs for you

6. I did a 3500 miles on a Diavel in two weeks in the summer - ragged it all round the Alps and back again to my home in Devon. I consistently rode it like I stole it, and it rewarded me with 55mpg.

The other night I was ragging it back from my girlfriend's late at night on my 1200S. Frequently and for sustained periods at three figure speeds. I emptied a tank in 115 miles, at an average of 37mpg. Not massively surprising, but I wasn't too pleased. More "normal" riding is typically 45mpg or so.

That said, it wheelies off the throttle in second, off crests in third (115mph...), and handles superbly well. If you want to do touring then it's no Multistrada, but it's without question the most fun I've ever had on a bike, albeit the most likely to land me in prison or in a box in the ground... I love it to bits, albeit my lack of restraint seriously bothers me, because it's so much fun and so easy to be naughty.

I've had a pillion on mine - doesn't upset the handling too much. If that was a serious consideration I'd get another Multi with electronic suspension. Almost as much fun, but way more of an overall package.

Lots of dealers have demo bikes - you should go and try one. Be warned though, they're naughty!

7. I am in Oregon and have a 2014 1200s and like others have said this bike kinda makes you feel young again. I'm 45 6'2" 265 lbs. and it pulls the front on demand in touring or sport mode.

I bring up Oregon because it rains a lot! I am soaked on the back side and back of legs when raining.

I removed the stock plate location which I'm sure has a lot to do with it. My s1000rr does the same thing now that I relocated the plate.

As far as comfort I like the riding position but the seat gets to me after a day of riding. It could be me though as I've seen others say how great the seat actually is. I feel as though I could go twice as far on my s1000rr.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information