1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 High Mileage Problems - Any Common Ones?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Majvs, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Don't like the VFR12 (do they still make it?). Poor riding position and short range. I reckon 50% of the people I see on tour are on the GS, which puts me off and I've heard of lots of problems with them.

I've absolutely no brand loyalty and I'm going to give the Honda Xtourer a go if I can get a good deal. I could see myself with another MS,as I reckon I've been unlucky. Life is hort.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The vfr 1200 has indeed been stopped as has the pan european. Honda finally realised what the forums and owners told them , that the vfr 1200 would not be a good seller as it was a mish mash replacement for the blackbird. I think they still use the engine in their crosstourer advernture bike model though.

That version as well as the newer africa twin seem to rarely leave dealers forecourts and when they do, they seem to go back quite quick

3. I've ridden the Crosstourer V4 12 and it seems OK. I wouldn't have a Pan as a gift, they're horrible. I've heard the Xtourer is fairly reliable and the engine feels OK in the limited time I've had on it, but it does seem to tip rather unpleasantly into corners. I'm not happy about this, but I can't take the risk of breakdowns on tours when I'm with a group and that preys on my mind.

4. I recently bought a V4 Cross-tourer , virtually brand new , DCT version as well.
    Kept it for 7 weeks , it is indeed a great workhorse.
    However rupturing a disk whilst pushing it out of the garage and watching the tiny little piece of testerone I have left pack up and leave was the last straw.
    You know how you lose pressure when firing Jizz as you grow older ?
    Well my Jizz actually refused to come out until I sold that bike !!!!
    Words cannot express how dull it was.
    An expensive mistake not test riding that mofo.

#24 fatbob99, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. fatbob you have a unique way with words :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hope multistrada ownership has improved the situation.....add a termi to it and you'll be all over the place !

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. They'd certainly hear you coming :splat:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes mate , indeed it did , this is my 3rd , all with full systems :)

• Love You Love You x 1
  9. Thanks for cheering me up on a Monday

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. My bike is a 2012, has about 40000km's
    1. I have changed a set of fork seals due to one failing, (had forks serviced when I had stiffer springs fitted this year, so hopefully all good again for a few years)

2. Gear position sender unit failed.

3. Rear hub was getting tight, stripped and cleaned, drilled a bigger drain hole and fitted a blanking plug in swing arm hole.

4. Rear lower shock bolt seized. Only found this as I wanted to fit a stiffer spring (that was a chore to remove!)

5. Fuel sender started lying, but on recent trip was as good as ever!! :confused:

6. LH indicator idiot light is not very bright

7. Headlight fuse kept blowing, removed blown bulb, fuse fine but no dipped. (Not investigated further as bike is abandoned at parents!) : unamused:

Maybe not common, but that's all the issues I've had. I love my Multi :heart:

• Love You Love You x 1

11. After getting a new brake reservoir the leak still persisted, then tried putting PFTE tape around the top of the reservoir and that solved the problem. The cost of tape 30p, new reservoir (essentially not required) £18.00, should have thought of the PFTE tape first.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Interesting topic as I have done 34000 mls on my 61 plate; which I have owned from new. Just recently there is a whirring noise coming from the engine related to rpm.
    Sound is either in the clutch cover area or cam belt drive.
    I have removed the belt covers for inspection and all looks good but difficult to check for belt pulls bearings wear with out removing the tension.
    I’ve not heard of any engine problems apart from heads on early models.
    Other probs over the years have been minimal ..
    Exhaust valve sized after about a year and replaced under warranty
    Dash changed at 1500 warranty
    Key remote failed at 20000
    Chain and sprockets replaced at 18000 .... 42 tooth rear fitted
    Bother engine cases have flakey paint now along with the radiator headers. I guess it’s expected as the bike has been used in plenty of rain.
    Apart from consumables not a lot else has been spent.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had any engine noises develop.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've two Pikes Peaks currently, had one before and a standard 1200S model.
    All great bikes.
    Rear brake is a pain to keep working.
    Glow on LEDs.. damp problem.... doesn't really cause a major issue, but some have had to replace.
    Gear position, Fuel senders, heated grips and steering lock issues.

#33 AirCon, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Oh yes.... I forgot about heated grips...... or lack of them!!!:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Or rear lights...… currently on number 7

Do Not Sell My Personal Information