1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hjc Helmet Issue

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by HyperMac, May 11, 2017.

1. just bought a HJC -RPHA helmet and found it very comfortable , good fit for my heed etc , until I installed my SENA 20s intercom and found that speakers press like hell on my ears.
    I have removed the foam covers from speakers to remove as much bulk as possible but still press on my ears. After about an hour it hurts like hell.
    I know this is maybe not really a good idea ,but would it be safe to remove small amount of foam lining from speaker recess of helmet to try and move speakers back a bit ?
    I really like overall fit of helmet , but without being able to use my SENA with it I may have just wasted few hundred quid :cry:
    Thanks

2. I have removed foam before, this does not protect you it is the "white stuff" (EPS) that does this job. I have also chipped this away a bit too before but technically speaking this is effecting your protection

3. Yep , sorry it is the EPS I was meaning , to remove a small part of it and try and get speaker further away from ear.
    But for sure no way to guarantee helmet integrity after this.
    To change to different intercom be expensive option too.
    Looks like another new helmet required as better safe than sorry. Put it down to experience ..... bugger

4. Who advised you that an intercom was compatable with the helmet you chose ? None of the HJC RPHA helmet info I can find on t'interweb makes any reference to fitting speakers. I don't know enough about helmet design to be able to say with any confidence that you've bought the wrong helmet for an intercom but it's possible. Andy

5. Sounds like it is just one of them things hyper Mac, we've all done it. I have several older HJC helmets, and a cheapie compromise they did is to have 'one size fits all'* and supply you with the appropriate removable lining depending on which size you ordered. it might sound like a good idea but it means that if you have a 'large' head (like me!) then you have the skimpiest lining and consequently there is no margin for any additional item, even wearing glasses makes the ears more painful.
    *I would have thought that they would have moved away from this on later designs?

6. I've got the same helmet with the same issue,, bought it from J & S, great fit but when I went to fit my V6 Rider intercom ( too tight to buy a Sena) I found that the recess for the ear pads was too high up in the helmet for my ears and where it should have been was right were the straps are and obviously no good, so I have managed to jiggled it about a bit with out removing any of the integrity of the lid just enough to get the pads near as to where I can just hear them, not good for a 270.00 (Discounted price) helmet, but I guess you don't think of these things when your on the look out for a lid.

7. I got from J & S as well. Asked would SENA speakers fit , was told yes , and also checked space myself and didn't think it would be an issue. But alas it is. you are right in saying that the void for speakers sits very high up as well and presses on top part of the ear. Very uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies and info from all above.
    Will look out for new helmet I think

• Like Like x 1
  8. Many years ago I was asked if I knew what the initials in J and S stood for. My questioner took great delight in telling me that it was "Junk and Shite". Andy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yep had a twit tell me all about laminate Gore- Tex on a non laminate Rukka jacket years back

10. Yep certainly won't be using J&S again. Another lesson learnt there

11. I have one of these. 2 years old.. and putting headphones in my ears hurt like hell too.. The padding just put lots of pressure on them into my ears.. Just bought a Shoei NXR Valkerie.. So will see how that is!

12. Mac,

I've got a HJC Rapha 10 as well and I've fitted my sena speakers in there no problem, mines a Sena 5 and I think it has thinner speakers than the 20 you have?
    Rather than bin the helmet I'd search for a thinner set of speakers and failing that, possibly take a bit of the EPS out just locally, wouldn't think it'll make the helmet unsafe, what's the worst that can happen........snap an ear off????

13. Not related to the HJC as I don't have one , but it's not a problem unique to this manufacturer
    Thinner speakers will work - Failing that , you could ditch the speakers , solder a 3.5mm stereo jack to the speaker wires and use in ear buds?
    I use the moulded ones from Ultimate Ear , on a jack , but have speakers in place also - can't hear jack out of the speakers once the wind noise picks up so always where the in ear plugs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information