1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Homemade Carbon Airbox

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Chris.King1, Jun 26, 2015.

1. I really should spend more time on this project. Anyway, finally laid the top half up and put on the aesthetic outer layer, in Kevlar, didn't want carbon. Now just a case of laminating and the joys of cutting kevlar. Its now strong enough to take a lump hammer to it and a fraction of the weight of OEM. Looks a bit uneven weave in the first picture, but thats just the light reflection. What a ball-ache though! airbox.1.jpg airbox.2.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Wow, a thing of real beauty!

3. Nice work Chris.

In your 1st picture, have you used a mould release rubber, the green stuff? If so what is it?
    Then plaster of Paris over that?

4. Hi, slightly off topic, where are your indicators?

#24 Cream_Revenge, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. The green stuff is the Tooling Gel, which you paint over the OEM airbox, and then I used a Fibreglass mixture to put over the top of the tooling gel when it was tacky. So when you take your airbox out of the mould, the tooling gel is left with a nice smooth finish to lay the carbon/kevlar into.

6. NEW Latest 749R.jpg

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  7. No need for that, they are a little hard to spot.

Are the mirrors any better over OEM?

8. Only messing with you...the mirrors are better, however, they do want to contour to the wind at higher speeds, so you need to have them done up pretty tight! But they give you of an option to angle them than standard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lovely 749 Chris :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thank you.

11. Ps, awesome bike.

12. WP_20160706_12_56_50_Pro.jpg Thanks. A better view of them...I think they stick out just that little bit further WP_20160705_11_19_57_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. OK, is the fairing carbon fibre sprayed up to the mirrors and faded to expose the carbon. If you get what I mean.

Looks like a lot of time and money spent on the bike.

BTW, what's in the blue bag.

14. Disappointed I didn't get the brown bin in. Yes, the nose is CF which the red fades out, doesn't make the mirrors too obvious. Or that was the idea.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ...the blue bag is a secret.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Amazing build - respect.

...but minus at least 1 point for fitting Maxxis tyres.

17. Hi what headlight did you use?

18. Although the thread is over 2 and a half years ago I think Chris popped in a couple of weeks ago.

might be worth pm'ing him directly or do that at thing @Chris.King1

19. Just seen this, I no longer have my R...I cant remember where I got if from, but it was from Germany, had a shutter system on for hi/lo beam. Front end was very light, doing away with the instrumentation mount and stacked headlights. If I remember I will check back.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information