1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda 400/4 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Looks very nice. Is it an import because the clocks look to be larger diameter than the standard UK fitting?

2. Nope - bought locally (im in Bristol) it was bought in Clevedon...small town just outside....its as british as they come...

3. Still next to Portishead then.

If yours had chrome, I’d stick with the chrome! it’s unusual, if not unique, but it’s part of what makes your bike yours.

4. Yeah- well, thats the thing....trying to keep it original and oem...as such...at the moment im guessing in total 2.5k to get rolling again...so this is gonna be a long build thread...

• Like Like x 2
  5. If i keep it as oem from a looks and build (what you see) point of view then itll pay dividends in the future years. Im keeping all the oem bolts that im not going to reuse. Update the coatings so it lasts longer and is more durable...when the time comes to sell (hopefully not for a very long time) then itll hold its value more than one that was covered in pattern parts...

6. I bought a '75 CB750K2 in about 76 or 77, it too had a chromed side stand, I always assumed it had been chromed by the previous owner as I never saw another.

7. Yeah - i dont really know much about them....could have just found a different supplier....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Collected the Rims, spokes and bellmouths last night @Borgo Panigale - Lovely bloke - could have chatted for hours but, i was on a covert mission....wife was out round her mates house so only had a small window of opportunity to collect the stuff....rear wheel stripped down to the hub.....few pics incoming...
    20200606_153842.jpg
    Just noticed the original rim is a DiD.. .interesting...i will keep the old rims and get them rechromed at a later date...maybe when ive won the lottery...as the price of chrome plating currently is fucking extortionate....

• Like Like x 1
  9. 30 year old set of road runners on the bike....loads of tread on them but thinking fresh rubber would be safest... 20200606_153323.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 20200606_145035.jpg 20200606_145905.jpg 20200606_145259(0).jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Front wheel...
    20200606_162104.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Front wheel apart...
    20200606_164547.jpg

20200606_162112.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Don’t spend too much on stripping, polishing and rechroming the rims as David Silver lists OE replacements at £95 front and £85 rear.
    https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F0-SUPER-SPORT-1975-USA/part_162442/

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Gents....advice on getting the hubs looking nice....as much as polished hubs are nice due to the location and all the spokes, whats around them etc etc....once polished to keep that appearance could be a pain in the arse but if thats the way it has to be that the way it is....i thought just a good clean with autosol or something like that....

15. I know and i know pattern stuff is cheap but, im trying to keep all the oem stuff and anything that doesnt go back on the bikes is refurbed and stored with it all the same...i could have bought some pattern fork stanctions but, Rich at Louigi said that the pattern ones are not a patch on the oem ones....(theyre off being reground at the moment)

16. I got the hubs for my CB500/4 bead blasted and clear coated at Griff’s Reality Works in Brizzle. An excellent job (As always).

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. True, but the Silver ones are DID original Honda parts. The pattern ones are a bit cheaper, but I wouldn’t go there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Yeah - thats nice to know....id rather put some sticky rubber on there as its going to be doing no miles really and just used for bumbling around but id prefer as much grip as possible...

19. Any pics?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information