1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda 400/4 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Ive not looked...i reckon i should be able to get it out...(talk to me after ive tried) :)

2. Not sure i understand....any pics of what i need?

3. A grease nipple with the same thread as the brake pipe union should do it. Only the one caliper half has a piston in it, so the only possible holes are the brake pipe connection, the bleed nipple and the piston seal.

The other brake pad is brought into play by the caliper and its ally mount moving on the steel pivot where it’s attached to the fork leg. That needs to move freely, which is why I suggested you check it.

4. Its the grease nipple bit.....that i dont have....and even if i did im not sure how it would connect together and, if it would stand the pressure...

5. This is what you need. Screw this, or one similar, into the caliper, ensure the bleed nipple is fitted & tight. Connect a grease gun to the grease nipple & pump. Easy, never fails & unlike using compressed air, won't kill you as the piston flies out or trap you hand !!

DSCN3642.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ah - right - ok....yeah not got one of those...where do i get one from??

Having said that....the yokes are in, the forks are reassembled so i can fit those to the yokes, meaning i could effectively reassemble the front brake as i ll be able to put the handlebars on too....

7. Cats suggestion is the way to go but if you can’t do that for any reason in the past I have grafted a Schrader valve from an old mountain bike inner tube onto a brake union and used a foot pump , it gets the piston out great but as CAT3 said is likely to kill you in the process.

8. To be honest id rather get one of those bits...looks like a handy tool to have...

9. Oh yeah - not got a grease gun either....im not doing very well am i... :)

I could do the compressed air thing and just face it down on the floor...garage is carpeted...

10. You have been warned:)

11. Based on that warning ill probably rebuild the whole front brake...

12. You'd need to know the thread size in your caliper, that's diameter & pitch, then ask a friendly local machine shop to make one for you. Alternatively, some kind person on here with access to a lathe may be willing to help ! You'd then have to buy a grease gun.
    If you have a compressor & one of those air guns with the soft rubber nozzel you could push that into the caliper where the brake pipe connects & pull the trigger !
    BE WARNED THOUGH, turn the regulator down to start with so you're not putting 100 odd psi into the caliper. Start low & build up if necessary & make sure you put the caliper face down so when the piston does come out it hits the carpet/wrags rather than hitting you in the face !

Depends how confident you are feeling !!:joy:

13. I dont know all of that right now....ill have to go into the garage...do a bit of building....see what happens...

14. Had stuck pistons on an old Honda this week too .. 150psi from the compressor wouldn’t shift them one bit.
    Took all of 5 mins to connect to a MC and pump them out.

15. Sounds like building up the front brake will do the job.....its gotta be done anyway...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Little bit more this morning.....forks in...handlebars on..started to build up the front brake to force the stuck btake pad out...missing a banjo bolt though....the brake line is ancient so will probably send it off to hel for a replacement...
    20200719_110315.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ive got another brake related question...half way down on the bottom yoke there looks to be a servo...(ill get a pic in a min). Its only a single caliper...do i need the server/mid part. Itd be nice to get a single line from Hel if i could but if its gotta be there then so be it...
    20200719_115132.jpg

I know the switch is in there but i could get a banjo bolt/switch to do that job...

18. Servo?? I can only see a rather large (& ugly) brake-light switch manifold:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Well, im calling it that...wasnt sure if it was some sort of cylinder....if its literally for a brake light switch then ill remove it...rather keep it simple....i can just have one line down to the caliper then...

20. That’s the brake light switch I believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information