1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda 400/4 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Feb 8, 2020.

1. A great story look forward to watching the rebuild I had a 400/4 back in the day A guy at work has a 460 yoshi which needs restoraing I have asked for first dibs

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cheers - im tempted today to go out and start on the carbs....but, i was out there most of the day so brownie points used up for the moment...

3. The simple Mikuni on my TS185 wouldn't come right. Lots of new bits, meddling, fussing, swearing... Utra sonic carb cleaning and it runs like brand new.

4. Yep - i am thinking that i could just hand them over to the local bike shop - Unity Road MC's in Keynsham will get them if i go that way...

5. I used to dream of such a “beast”! I ended up skimming the head on mine and going max oversize on the pistons.
    Lent it to my mate about a month after the rebuild and he wrote it off...doh!

6. When they ultrasonic the carbs, they then assemble them perfectly... Suzuki Barrow did mine as they are a heritage dealer. Cost £50 inc VAT, shipping including a few springs and seals. Well worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. How many years did you serve?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wow - thats way cheaper than i expected - ill send them there...!

9. Call them first, I don't know if they work on Hondas! They are great guys.

10. Cheers....id always phone first...!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Martin (owner) is a friendly, helpful & interesting guy. He raced RGV250s at the IOM.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Confused...never been in the forces (although was brought up all my life in RAF circles as my father was a Wg Cdr..)

13. I meant for killing the bloke who wrote off your beautiful 400/4! LOL.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Oh...sorry, being a bit thick!
    I still see him and take every opportunity to remind him why his knee has a big scar on it from the crash!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. You can just do it online now ... don’t need the v11

16. Huh... clicked on the link yesterday and the first thing is said was "go to your local post office" - love to do it all online if i can....!

17. What link did you click ?

If you have the V5 in your name then you’re good to go - or the green new keeper slip

18. Yep - got the V5!

19. A great basis for a refurb/restoration,they were a great bike back in the day plus you have the emotional tie in of your Dad,fantastic.
    I did a z900 restoration a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.I joined the Z1 owners club which was invaluable.Im sure there will be something similar for the 400/4 .
    Some research would be useful imho as although you have your idea of what you might want to do on the bike now once you get into it that might change.There May well be key parts of the refurb to keep the required originality.An example on the z900 being the stamp on the wheel rims.Rechromed incorrectly and you can lose them but it’s one of a number of key points people look for when buying.
    My objective was to restore original parts or replace with N.O.S .As you say you aren’t coming from that perspective but whatever you do I wish you well.Take your time and do your Dad proud

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information