1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda 400/4 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Feb 8, 2020.

1. The price of proper chroming has gone through the roof for some reason. Goodness knows why.

2. It is really labour intensive and I suppose it keeps pace with labour costs..?

3. Points cover.....chainguard is definately chrome....

Im trying to keep it all original...the forks need rechroming also....i was chatting with Rich at Louigi and he said "ya gotta keep it all original as possible....the quality of the pattern stuff is no where near the quality of the original jap stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  4. It is...the old boy was telling me....you can't chrome anything with a scratch on it...it wont take....

1. Stripped.
    2. Any scratches have to be filled
    3. Then a copper coat
    4. Then polished (yes the copper)
    5. Then chromed...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. The last ones, the set of four, are labelled Genuine Parts, the single one at about half the price is pattern, but for all the world, look identical - perhaps they just used the same items for the photos..

The extra thickness could be shite and rust though..!

6. Its one of those things that in the years to come....ill get pulled up on the pattern stuff (if i took that route...)

7. Then polished again as the item comes out of the chrome bath with a matt, dull silver finish

8. Yep- forgot that bit....he did say...the chrome wont come off the way its coming of that mudguard!!

9. Ive gotta pay a couple of hundred up front a the end of the month....what ill probably do it send them a hundred quid a month til theyre paid for...literally all of the parts i dont need straight away...

10. Probably down to how many platers are still going.

11. Well, when i went in....there was a ton of stuff lined up to be done....ive got a 3 month wait....

12. The CB400F1 and F2 chain guards were chromed, though you could fit a G5 one which was black.

The centre stand was black as standard though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sidestand - the centre stand is powder coated and back on the bike...well, frame...!

14. Side-stand was black too as standard.

15. upload_2020-5-15_19-55-10.jpeg

Definitely black!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Definately not mine...Its been in the family from brand new....
    IMG_20150905_142721.jpg
    I hasten to add thats just before it went into storage....had i have known what i know now...i would have bought one of those airtight bags to put it in...

#180 comfysofa, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information