1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Reliabity

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Mar 26, 2018.

1. So, Blade clutch I'm/exploded today.

I'd rather ask here than elsewhere even if it's not an unreliable Duc.

So, the genius invention that is the wet clutch went pop and made a hell of a mess. I think I can just drop the whole sump of with engine in situ so I can clean all the swarf out.

Assuming I can, was thinking of putting back together without the clutch and the old oil but strained, run for a bit, then dump oil and sump again. Then add new clutch and fresh oil.

Is the realistic??

2. Be better to put back together and run with a cheap no brand oil for a short time to clear it through rather than risk running with oil that possibly has microscopic metal in it? That's what I'd do anyway.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. As long as the cases are sealed, cant see why not. Bear in mind there may be parts of teh clutch that need to be there even without plates or basket. Ask a question on a race bikes forum or FB group, you may find someone who knows.

4. Ask on the Honda forum! :D

5. He's well known there and will not wish to jeopardise his high profile and status o_O

• Crap Crap x 1
  6. Fair enough on oil. If I throw £25 of castrol finest away it's no big deal.

@bradders do you mean if the clutch section is separate? It's not it's all open in there.......

7. Being wet, I just wonder of the basket seals anything internally, or any rod is used (if you get my drift). So juts removing it entirely could create further engine issue. No idea, just wondering...

8. Nah, it's all open in there.

9. Turns out there was a recall for this exact issue. And turns out my bike had it done.

Wonder if there is a dry clutch conversion kit for these bikes..............

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yeah. Leave the oil out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Don't think that would make things much worse at this point...............

12. Is the motor toast then or just needs while new clutch?

13. Feck knows. I'm very Bipolar about the whole thing currently.

Took clutch out today and the rest of the engine looks fairly clean from what I can see. I'll take the oil strainer, pressure valve and oil pump out over the weekend and clean them all.

My mate who used to be an engineer in the army for 20 years has suggested getting a magnetic sump plug so that's on order. He also suggested getting a big magnet from a stereo speaker and gaffer taping to the bottom of the sump and letting the engine idle with that in the sump when I'm flushing the crap out (DON'T REV IT!" was the quote).

14. HE could get a friend to ask to avoid any embarrassment.... Sure someone did that on here recently.... beep beep.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  15. Gaffer tape and a "big"magnet in the sump?? As in, inside where the crank turns quite quickly?

16. I'll weigh it up, but he does know his stuff, been rebuilding engines the British Army have been destroying for years.

17. He means under the sump, outside the engine.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Magnet won't pick up ali swarf will it ???, assuming most of the bits are ali ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. There's allsorts, clutch springs, bolts and spring caps all minced up.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeah, that's what he meant. He said to leave bike on tickover to give it a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information