1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Burgled Whilst Abroad

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Etherion, May 19, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I received news from my neighbour that my house has been broken into and my Audi s4 has been stolen. Police has been around and is taking a witness statement from the neighbour but i am currently away for business and only returning Monday. My wife is now flying back today but from the description given, the house has been turned upside down as they were looking for something and is one of the worst they have seen. I have the keys and documents to all my bikes in the house and do not know if the bikes are still there.

As far i know, i need someone who can help with urgent repairs to the window (apparently where they forced the entry).
    2nd, I do not believe police have listed my audi as stolen since the neighors do not know the reg - except it is missing. Does anyone know what i should do or how to get this updated with the police?
    And lastly, since they must have found the keys to the audi - will the insurance have any issues in paying up?

Many Thanks

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. You poor bugger. Feel for you.

I'd call your home insurance and car insurance ASAP and follow there advice. I'd be amazed if the bikes were not covered by your bike insurance as long as you didn't leave the keys in the ignition. Who carries all their bike keys all the time.

3. Fingers crossed and thoughts with you. Thats awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Where are you based?

Happy to sort the windows

Cheers ben

• Like Like x 2
  5. Oh ffs! Nightmare. You should be ok with insurance on the S4. There is only a problem if keys are left in the ignition. During winter some folk warm their cars up on their drives for 5 minutes whilst they finish their breakfast... They have claim problems.

Good luck, hope things go as well as they can matey.

6. Terrible news. Hope it's not as bad as reported.

7. Thanks Ben for the very kind offer, - I'm based in North London Watford area - not sure if that is close by but very kind of you.

I don't know if bikes are gone - but they probably saw the keys and documents to the desmo, 1098r etc so they know whats left behind. And if they knew the value - i would presume they would be back...

As for damage...i guess we'll be finding out in approximately 10 hours...just hope they don't come back for 2nds during this time,.

8. Before I remarried I always carried all my ignition keys away to work with me for weeks on end. I still had a 999S nicked though. The fact I was able to hand the keys (including red one) to an insurance assessor, made for a swift settlement.
    Not these days though. I'm mindful of these fekkers that smash their way into your home demanding ignition keys. I leave all keys with my wife.

9. What shit news to get whilst you're away, commiserations. Hope it's not as bad as it seems, the insurance settle for your losses and that the scrotes get their comeuppance one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sorry to read about the burglary, we were done last year so I know how upsetting it is. As mentioned above, inform your insurers, they will know what to do and give advice. As you are away they may be able to arrange window repairs too.
    Good luck getting everything sorted. After my burglary I asked for security advice on here to try to prevent it happening again. There are some very helpful knowledgeable people here so if that is what you need I`m sure you will get good information.

11. Hi Mate,

Im not far from you, in Ruislip in fact, im a builder and have contacts with glaziers, let me know if you want me to send you details of a glazier friend of mine to help with window.

Inda 07866 431883

12. I got burgled about 3 years ago now. Police were useless but insurance were good. Hope it all gets sorted as soon as possible. Call the police and report the car as stolen if you haven't already done so. Tell all relevant insurers as soon as possible as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. :(:mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gutted for you. had similar back in 2011. the insurance paid up in full in reasonable time for the car (via car insurance) and the house stuff (via home insurance), so I see no reason why they won't pay up for the car (and bikes if they have been taken too).

good luck getting it all sorted.

Pete

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Get plenty of pictures inside ransacked house ( before any tidying up) so any insurance company can see how thorough the scrotes have been looking for keys etc. And you didn't just leave em on coffee table.
    Terrible news like this makes me consider a hidden sturdy key safe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Metal window shutters seem all the rage with the pikey bungalows I see, where they then create a massive camping site for 'friends & family' at the back. I hope personal items such as pictures & documents are untouched. Don't let the criminals taint your homes atmosphere!

17. What a shitter.Hope you get sorted.

18. Oh FFS that's awful news to read
    Hope you get it sorted asap
    :(

19. Thanks all - received many offers for help and very much appreciated. Wife should be landing in 2 hours so will get some clarity on the situation and the bikes soon.

Since the police have come around already to take witness statement( I am assuming this since they said today 12 gmt), would they have checked the house? (seeing as they have already entered once yesterday)
    Will my wife need to go to the station(even though she doesn't know of any reference numbers) to report the theft of the vehicle and etc or will they come over?
    Additionally, once she takes the photos, should she start doing some tidying up? or atleast do some cleaning to see whats been taken or should she not touch anything?

20. Hi, not sure if you did, or have, but, may I suggest that you remove any posts on Face book etc about going / being on holiday.

There can be issues with insurance if you have "checked in at the airport" "posted the pool photo's" etc basically telling the world that your house is empty.

Sorry to hear your news, hope everything works out for the best.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information