1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Hunting Is Stressful!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zhed46, Nov 27, 2019.

1. You know that ol boy in the caravan has his finger up the ol dears ass dunt ya. Her face says it all lol

2. Proper pikey. You should get a house boat and be like David Essex

3. Yeah. I like dags

Brad Pitt still looks the same but Stephen Graham hasn’t aged so well

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. no, but there are worse places to live. next to you for example...:p
    i lived in a smaller one for 6 months on a beach just outside oban back in the day. loved it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I’ve strongly considered a houseboat but

1. They’re tiny, unless you’re talking about the sort of thing Donald Trump would own.

2. They’re very expensive in that London.

3. My 17 year old son is huge (6’ 3”) and really clumsy (which is weird as he’s potentially knocking on the door of being a professional goalie) so he’d almost certainly end up over the side and be drowned within 6 months.

4. Most are static, basically floating caravans, but I’d want to sail the high canals from place to place and I think British Waterways would take a dim view of me towing a tender behind it containing 3 motorbikes filled with petrol.

#45 Zhed46, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Not A
    ha ha ha ha brilliant. I’ve always liked the idea of a boat but then I imagine it’s damp and not so ideal with wet dogs and coats plus damp issues.
    Nice in summer but shite in winter I bet. Never done it but but folk do and seem to love it

7. 9 months for us and we bought a new house. Since moving in February the stress for us, or me at least, has been adding the garden room extension, (as a 4 bed detached isn't big enough for 2 people is it), and doing the back garden...........purely because tradesmen never do on time what they say they're going to do.

Most definitely does. Our last house was unique, characterful, quirky if you will. Everyone that saw it thought it was gorgeous and idyllic, which to the outsider it was, as it was rustic and stone built and had a stream at the bottom of the garden and overlooked a small wood. But after 17 years of "quirkiness" and constant issues with parking with the neighbours, despite having two garages of which one had a mezzanine floor, we'd had enough and wanted something easier to manage with no parking issues. Plus there was always a threat that we may be flooded (though we never were, thankfully).

Our new house is a bog standard "estate house", albeit a nice one and there are only 3 of the same design on our little development. The build quality is good. It's better insulated than our old house because materials are much better and building techniques have improved over the years. Everything works. It's better designed and the rooms "flow" so that it's easier to move around the house efficiently (I know it sounds stupid but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean). Our last house being an "upside down" house meant that we felt disconnected from the garden and the garages and so it was a pain planning to eat al fresco or having a BBQ etc........so we never did. And I never went to the garages unless it was absolutely necessary.

Now we have a driveway and no-one can get in our way parking wise. Only downside for me is that I've gone from in effect 3 garage spaces to a single garage, but it meant that I could finally get rid of all the shite you accumulate over the years that you think "may come in handy" but never does. And as it's an integral garage I can just pop in to look at my bikes whenever I want to and it's dead easy to do so.

We also picked a plot with a south facing back garden, and had two patios built so that we can lounge in the sunshine (when we get some) from morning through to evening should we want to. Oh and we don't have the threat of the stream flooding us either.

It did cost me over £80k for the privilege to move but I/we don't regret it at all. The next time I move it'll be when they carry me out in a wooden box.

This "Barratt Box" most definitely suits us at our stage in life.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sounds like we all have a "moving" story (npi). That does sound rough Andy, I have one but there were some other issues on top of the normal money-less ones. I know I would be incapable of doing it again now but there's bound to be many who've had it worse.

#49 Chris, Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I have a flat that comes with work - my desk is literally 10' above my cooker. It works for me...before working here I worked from home for about 9 years so 60 steps to get to my desk is actually a commute. It's a nice stone building with a plaque on the wall to someone (I walk past it several times a day...I should know who). Downside is if the office alarm goes off, which it does fairly regularly, I'm on site so get tooled up and have to investigate.

The boat thing - our financial director was selling a narrow boat a couple of years ago and I thought about it...until I read that paedo's that have done time like them because of anonymity and being able to move about. That image kind of puts you off.

My gf lives near Glasgow, so when my youngest is working in a year or two I'll be moving up there. Good value compared to here.

I've always wanted an open plan area where I can park the car and bikes and admire them from. Need a proper garage aswell for all the crap. I dithered too much on a Victorian three storey commercial building in town that would've been perfect - I would've kept the exterior looking fairly commercial with a roller door for the entrance to a dark tiled vehicle admiration space. An adverting agency bought it and have ruined it.

10. I was expecting you to say your better half wanted Shoreditch.

I feel your pain. Had the same. In the end we stopped for a couple of months then went back to it with a view to only looking at lots of stuff without preconceived ideas. In the end it fell in to place and neither of us had to compromise.

i would wait until after the election. If bj wins we will have a hard brexit and chaos. That’s the time to pick up something cheap

• Like Like x 1
  11. We may have found somewhere we both like, in a village near Harpenden*. So, for her it’d be a 10 min ebike ride in sunny weather or a car ride in wet weather to the station (I’m going to buy her a Mini or similar) then 28 mins or something to St Pancras then 20 mins to Brixton.

No garage BUT there is off street parking which would fit a van/motor home and my first thought when I saw the layout of the front door and the lounge was “I can get motorbikes in or through here” :yum

8CB685CC-D534-4A8F-BA58-D836B89514E7.png 5F2A9705-998C-4585-9567-027839469C32.png

Hopefully, I can get them through the house into the huge back garden in which there is already a big shed but could still fit a small wooden garage/workshop type of thing.

Cheap too. Less than a grand per month.

* I told you I’d get my own way ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. How come the mock tudors only did the ceiling?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yeah. I noticed that too. I have form for picking slightly oddball places to live though. My present place is part of what were the stables behind a former convent which is now used as a catholic retreat/prayer centre. I actually think part of the reason the (Catholic Charity) landlord has decided to boot me out rather than my neighbour when they wanted the house back in order to accommodate one of their employees, is that a few years ago when I was living a rather lively lifestyle I had a procession of girls in and out of my place, and they gently “warned” me that my lifestyle was somewhat at odds with their ethos and activities. And that was before “the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime”, wherein one of the priests was walking his dog in the grounds below my landing window on a steamy summer night when I was having an equally steamy encounter with a particularly vocal visitor. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the holy man’s hound then started howling in unison with her. That may well have been the final straw for the left footer fellow and I was served with notice not long afterwards. :laughing:

EB52FD2F-A47D-4277-9702-AA27F720CEDD.jpeg

#54 Zhed46, Nov 28, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
  14. Bring back any memories

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Funniest thing I’ve read today ha ha ha ha did she “oh god” at all lol
    You could have ended up on craggie island

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Agree ^ post of the month :upyeah: @Zhed46 - tell me it wasn't a full moon as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Hahaha, yeah. I could have styled it out and told him that I was merely converting her to Christianity, as evidenced by the cries of “Oh Jesus, I’m coming”

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. And you will know my name is the lord

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. River folk can indeed be a little odd. But then I’m kind of quirky myself, so I’d probably fit in.

TBH, I hadn’t made the connection with the other “thing” you seem to have deleted since posting, but thinking about it now, and some of the weirdos I’ve met through work, it makes sense.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information