1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Big Are The Standard Panniers?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Stuart Fordyce, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Thinking of plunging back in to Bologna bike ownership - I owned a Multistrada 1000S for a few years a while back. I'm currently plodding around on a BMW F650GS single but a change in circumstances means I don't have to put fuel economy above everything else. Moreover, with a two up tour through Champagne, the Vosges and Black Forest planned for the summer, I don't really want to plod all that way on a 45 BHP single. So I'm thinking of getting an ST3...

Quick question - how big are the standard panniers? I've currently got 40 litre Givi side boxes and I'd be loath to go much smaller. It seems Nonfangos are available again and they do largish side panniers. I have a 52 litre Givi topbox as well.

Also, is anyone familiar with the red ST3 that's on sale at Church Stretton Motorcycles?

Thanks in advance.

2. The boxes are quite big, I dont know exactly the size but they wont take a helmet due to the shape. But the volume is generous, I would hazard a guess that they are approx 30 to 40 litres.

3. Cheers - it's good to be able to get somewhere and bung all your bike kit in the panniers and do some sightseeing in ordinary clothes. When we were in Bologna a few years back it was 35 degrees and I wouldn't have wanted to wander round the city centre in my leathers!

We tend to lock our helmets through the back wheel, I'd like to be able to get a goodly pile of touring stuff in. Was at the bike show the other week at ExCeL and really disappointed at how many bikes only have 22 litre side panniers - not enough for us!

4. I reckon you could get a leather jacket in one side with a little room to spare

5. I hate to disagree with Desmoquattro, but they will take a helmet, just... as long as it's not a large one - maybe I have a smaller head than he does... The helmet needs to be placed with the bottom against the vertical inside surface of the pannier and there are straps to hold it there. They are, though, a bit of an odd shape - not entirely square. One annoying design flaw is that they will not take a standard A4 ring binder - but only by about half an inch. Irritating, but typically Italian...

6. I'm sure an A4 ring binder wasn't on their list of must have touring items [emoji23]

I must agree that it's the shape of panniers now, that's very restrictive. When we had the faultistrada, the wife and I would ride out and change when we got to where we were going. Both helmets in the top box, two jackets in one pannier and trousers in the other. It was tight! Couldn't get both my boots in either pannier due to the shape so resigned to smelly feet on hot days out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Agreed, it's probably not on most people's list of touring kit - but it's amazing how often that sort of item is carried on a bike. I carry A4 ring-binders for all sorts of things - tech manuals, drawing packs, general notes - they are just a standard way of protecting documents. And it's irritating that they won't fit into a pannier, which results in using a rucksack whilst the luggage stays empty.

8. Agree, you can indeed get a full face helmet into each pannier. Even a large one.
    Its possible to take enough kit for a 10 day jaunt to Italy 2 up, Wife gets one side and i get the other. A Givi top box makes this a much easier proposition as i like to take a camera with a long lens as well.
    Depends on what you think you need to take i suppose.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information