1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Find Out Who Insures One Of My Bikes???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Zhed46, Nov 7, 2019.

1. That almost happened last month with the S4 special that was leaking petrol from the fuel pump o ring onto the rear cylinder exhaust manifold :astonished:

Edit: I missed out the all important word “almost” : unamused:

Carla is fine, although she’s now in her scruffy plastic and steel clothes rather than her carbon fibre Sunday best as the tank needs repairing.
    4F614409-BA47-44E6-8BD0-4AFB6681FEB1.jpeg

#21 Zhed46, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Thanks for that :upyeah:

I think I may have solved the mystery.

Back in July I recommissioned this particular bike and I called and made a small payment to an insurer in order to cover it. I believe I transferred cover from one of my other bikes. I checked my July statement and there is a £32 payment to MCE.

I reckon either their system is missing it as it doesn’t seem very efficient - eg: they couldn’t find one of my bikes by searching the reg no but could find it by searching my postcode, or they messed up the transfer of cover back in July.

But I will try the MIB. Thanks

3. and at least it is insured :upyeah: I remember I discovered my Elefant was not insured due to a misunderstanding/error by insurer I wasn't even aware of, it was on a multi-policy so premium had been paid, just not including that bike!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ..this is why I use CIA insurance..

(I jest but they do exist)

5. I think I’ve cracked it.

MID holds data about me and so I’ll make a subject access request for that data. Don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier!

Edit: just clicked that MIB link posted by @chrisw and it’s exactly that ^^^

#26 Zhed46, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  6. I have folders for each vehicle I have, tyre purchases/services/insurance all kept in same location. Just a polite suggestion'

7. I’ve had the same problem Zhed, it’s a mixture of having too many bikes and being too old, I just rang around the major insurers asking if I had a bike insured with them, 3 or 4 calls in I found the right one, the other way is type “insurance” into your inbox email search bar and see if any of the results jog your memory
    GunzenBomZ solution above seems quite radical but I think I’ll give it a try :)

8. I think MIB just deal with aliens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Totally!

It's also incompetence by the insurer though with an element of my own naivety for assuming that what the guy told me over the phone was correct.

I just got an email for my new multi bike policy with a link to the docs online. While there I looked at other docs linked to my existing policy and discovered that as I thought, my Bandit is in fact insured by them.

As I type this I am on hold waiting for a very helpful woman to sort it all out.

Annoying, but I am also pleased to have finally solved the mystery.

Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Good that you've solved the issue but there is a lesson to learn there. I also opt to receive my documents online but I make sure that I download them all and save them in a folder for that year's documents. I then have a record of what's insured by whom, what is covered and how much it cost. A very useful reference, particularly if I'm involved in an accident and also when I come to renew the next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information