1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Stop The Oxidation On New Bolts / Fittings Etc

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Carbon749, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Here are my 888 cases Cerakoted......lovely job and super hard wearing.

D20DB4BA-A637-4ECD-89DA-1E200D4D788A.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. It does on the left hand (I am a righty) I cant explain everywhere the right hand goes...
    Badumpbump! Tsssscchh!!

Rex

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Great share, at what cost & who through please.

4. Looks good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Speak with Wesley who runs the place. Last time I was there, he was pretty busy with commercial work, but has done multiple bike engines and pipes. Last time it was around £600 cash, but that was a couple of years back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. OEM fasteners are fit for purpose, just not longevity of finish in the real world. Jet washing soaps are generally caustic, not recomended anywhere near a motorbike. I have never used a jet washer on anything except a patio. Crap stainless is not the answer, Titanium not the answer. Do not over spec? What does that mean? All fasteners should meet or exceed the required specification OEM do. Sacrificial components are also specced to fail.
    Why are car wheel bolts chromed and not stainless? Disc bolts and calliper bolts not stainless as standard, wheel spindles? Engine mounting bolts?Every supplier in the automotive and aerospace industries keeps traceable certification on batches. Certification has to conform and be traceable to set standards. Stainless steel alloys and Titanium alloys are expensive testing in batches and repeatability complicated, a massive percentage of cost.
    Titanium useless, titanium alloy yes. Correct chemistry, mill certs to prove and test certificates. Again SPC in batches. Lots of absolute crap on the market. I've posted elsewhere on this forum, certs can't supply, don't buy.
    Looks good and cheaper than supplier X, lovely finish, quick delivery, nice guy and nicely packed. Much more important than holding the bike together and keeping your insurance valid. Really want it shiny as it fails?
    There are suppliers who can and do supply but the price will not be £6 for 6 disc bolts. I will not give a recommendation on supplier. Price is a start, ask questions, are the fasteners to ISO standards, ANSI, SAE..... Make one up and see if you get a positive response, I did that with a Chinese supplier of titanium bar, BS 308441 1999. Haven't got a clue if that exists but BS did not stand for British Standard. Graphite looks good, little dab of bees wax on fastener head. Touch of clear nail polish. Bit cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Aluminium alone will not corrode, aluminium alloy will. Aircraft use sheet alclad which alloy clad with a coat of pure aluminium to prevent corrosion. Where that sheet is cut, drilled and countersunk (where the pure cladding is removed) chromate is used to protect the alloy prior to painting.

8. Do the fasteners conform to BS EN ISO 4074 2002.? Might get a rise from someone. I'll get my coat

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information