1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT How Often Do You Connect The Battery Charger During Winter Storage?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pacix, Oct 30, 2018.

1. I have my 999 on all the time, it's just a cheap halfords trickle charge, nothing fancy.
    The original battery lasted 11 years, I'm yet to fit one to my multistrada.
    I do ride pretty much all year round, that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Good point. If you hard-wire an in-line connector for the charger, it is easy enough to unplug, kick over the engine for a few revs and then reconnect. I use a C-Tek and both my bikes have a socket fitted - discrete but useful.

3. My bike is being kept outside for the first time. its nearly 5 year old multi on original battery. never charged it just ridden it
    But this year I won't be riding as dont commute anymore .should I take battery out bring it indoors will that mess up skyhook suspension?

4. I leave mine on its charger all the time -unless I'm riding it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeah so do I, is that not right then?

6. Its right in my book!

7. Is it fairly close to the house? I use an Optimate SAE extension lead on mine, charger is indoors.

8. My ctek’s on all the time when I’m not riding it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Once every couple of weeks for half a day.

10. Permanently. Battery in bike parked in an unheated garage.

#50 DarR, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Battery in or out into house?

12. as far as I am aware, if you disconnect the battery of a fuel injection (ie post-carbs, say 2002 or newer) Ducati, the ECU will lose its settings and have to be reprogrammed. That's just a rumour I heard, but perhaps worth checking.

13. Here's a few pointers from a guy that went skiing yesterday.
    Winterization (Keep it simple)
    1) Fuel stabilizer and run it through
    2) Keep both tires off the ground
    3)) Vapor barrier under it (rubber mat, plywood, plastic etc). This will prevent corrosion. Cover with a breathable dust cover.
    4) Plug it in with a quality battery tender/charger. You don't need to remove the battery. Batteries don't freeze. If they did, roads in Canada would be devoid of cars during the winter.

Most important.
    If you're an occasional track enthusiast, do remember to replace your Water Wetter with proper anti-freeze coolant fluid.

Don't start it periodically if you're in freezing temperatures. This will do more harm than good.

P.S.
    For those of you that live where you seldom have freezing temperatures:
    Why are you reading this? Get out there and ride! ;)

#53 DarR, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. never a problem for me, my wee mutley gets ridden in all weathers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information