1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Old Is Too Old? (tyre Question!)

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by chizel, Mar 4, 2020.

1. i certainly noticed a difference in going down to a 180 on the ss so i doubt id ever bother trying a 190 on the 748...

2. My 916 came with 2000/2001 manufactured date stamped tyres when i collected it in march 2014,i didn't change them until 2017/2018?,

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Done Cadwell Park on 9 years old Bridgestone BT090, came with the bike and forgot to check the dot...
    If pushing the lap times in the fast group I would certainly buy new rubber, if road and moderate track speed is your game then it should be fine.

4. My bike was laid up for years so my tyres were not changed for 15 years and pretty square on the back, new tyres felt better being round again but didn't really notice any improvement in grip. originals were Dunlop Sportmax replaced with Pirelli Strada

Tyre man told me Pirelli guarantee their tyres for 10 years so when magazines say bin 'em after 5 that's pish.

If you feel safer with new go for it, your choice, but the tyres you have will be fine assuming no other damage

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony, we're talking about @chizel 's tyres not his girlfriend

:D

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. i had an inflatable sheep for a while....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I remember razzing round Donington on a >4 year tyre I bought off ebay. Grip levels were ok but it was shagged in 1st day....

8. Yes .
    I did a short search and found this

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

A good store selling any product should constantly rotate their stock ...
    .... but then some manager has to care enough to get it done ....
    .... which means telling someone to do it .... and then checking that it got done ....

" And so it goes "

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jack, 180 is very much better on the 748 rims and is what Ducati spec for the 748s, they spec 190s for 998s on the same rims. I too have a favourite which are Metz' O2s on the 748 which for road use gives a degree of precision for a wider range of road conditions not felt on any other tyre. Don't forget the bike is only 85-100bhp or so at the wheel and is quite heavy by current sports bike standards. Most important for the 748 is the useable tyre pressure range for the front is very tight. If the suspension is set right (usually quite soft and quick on the front) the cold pressure for the front needs to be around 31.5-32.5 for road use and it does not seem to matter which tyre (I have tried Dunlops(1 type), Pirellis(3), Bridgestone(1), Michelin(1) and Metzellers(3) on the bike). The tyre manufs often specify more but Ducati specify 2.1-2.3 bar or 30.5 to 33.5psi for the front, if the tyre is over 33 or under 31 you can feel it and the balance is wrong. Rear not so finicky but I found 34 is the best compromise. As for age I would give them a run, if they feel shit change them, I firmly believe you can't tell how good a tyre is until its worn out but you can tell a bad one within an hour or quicker if the roads are wet.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Hi Denzil. I have 180/55’s on my 748. The wheels I am referring to are on a 996.

11. Jack, same rims, and the Ducati spec is for 190s on the 996. Ducati does the same profile change between the 749/999 which also ride better with 180s. Stick with 180s

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. well it would appear my tyre was made in 0313! so must have been on the shelf for a few years before i got them! at 7 years old i think i will just bite the bullet and get new... save the faff of fitting the old ones and having to change if i dont like the feel and the peace of mind of having new rubber on....

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Nothing to do with motorcycle tyres but I remember hearing this lady on the Jeremy vine show trying to get legislation approved in relation to the age of bus tyres. The tyres that were on the bus that crashed were older than her son who was killed in the collision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23320526

14. On the bikes, a simple awareness of the tyre week and year code, then asking the fitter to check them before they get fitted, could save an awful lot of drama later

15. If you have to question whether they need replacement ... Be safe replace them ...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information