1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Contact Ducati Uk

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by David Smith, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Did you send photos via Email or did they need hard copies?

Chris

2. Just sent scans via email. You need hard copies of the registration docs from originating countries when getting a license plate from DVLA, but I haven't even got that far as I need the Certificate of Conformity (what used to be 'Type Approval').

3. Have you managed to get the coc yet and if so do they charge you?
    I need one for registering my Multi in France and the local dealer wants me to put bike back to OE spec for inspection, take photos, check mapping, ect, and then charge me a bundle for the privilege! :grimacing:

4. Yeah I got the coc about a month ago, sent it through to DVLA along with all the other bumf and they sent it all back saying that the coc didn't prove that the speedo or headlights were 'suitable for left hand traffic'. The coc I got was the 51 point version, which I think is the 'all singing all dancing' one - so not entirely sure why they asked for it in the first place.

I am now going the VCA route. Send them the coc, letter from a garage about the lights and speedo (1098 has digital speedo and square cut off so no work needed) and £100. Once I get type approval from them, I then need to send all that back off to DVLA to hopefully get a reg. The bureaucracy is mind numbing, it really is.

5. Just goes to show the DVLA provide zero training for their staff and know nothing about the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) legislation. Motorcycle head lights pointing to the left are a thing of the past as are analogue mph/kph speedometers. Ducati have made bikes to one spec for the whole of the EEC for some time (excluding power output restriction). I'd complain to the Government Ombudsman, if you are the arbiters of vehicles on the road in the UK, you should know your subject matter. Andy

6. I agree Andy. It's just as bad at the VCA - I provided an invoice accompanying the letter from an assessing garage that they ask for; I did so in good faith to show that the garage had worked on the bike and was familiar with it, not as proof of the digital speedo and square cut off - the letter and application form are for proof, as per the instructions. Sure enough, my belts and braces approach bit me on the rear as they said the invoice didn't provide evidence for etc. etc. Not a peep about the letter from the garage stating that the speedo and headlight are suitable for UK roads as standard. They fixated on the invoice. I've phoned a few times now speaking to people and telling them that since the 999, Ducati have only made 'UK spec' bikes for the whole of Europe, or rather 'neutral spec' if you like. The bike I've imported is exactly the same as any sold originally in the UK - nope - it's like banging your head against a wall.

#26 PTG, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  7. am now in same boat PTG - what's the latest with you and VCA approach?

8. Hi Chris,
    I did end up getting a VCA approval, which I then sent to the DVLA (along with all the other docs they ask for, payment etc.), who then finally issued a V5! At last, I've now had a few rides on the Tricolore and it was well worth the wait!

The VCA also quibbled over the VAT status of the garage I used to verify the bike, so I also included a letter from them explaining that. Obviously that is a situation unique to me and the VCA wouldn't normally need that.

I've attached some scans of what they do need. The red outlines are mine - I did that to highlight to a jobsworth what I'd sent!

Scan_Doc0052.jpg

Scan_Doc0053.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks for update PTG, I will talk to DVLA today as I already sent a letter from a garage to confirm MPH/uk headlamp compliance. It seems they are just looking for a way to justify a fee. Also got Ducati UK to request amended C of C to include speedometer/headlamp compliance notes. Cheered up to hear you finally rode your bike and enjoyed it:upyeah:

10. Yeah I added that I've now ridden it to show you the light at the end of the tunnel! Sounds like you're well on the way and have all the right docs - it just takes perseverance and attention to detail; as with all bureaucracy I suppose. As Android mentioned earlier in the thread, the DVLA et al clearly don't train their staff, so you have to spoon feed them...

11. If I understand this correctly, you manage to get your V5 without getting a 'corrected' C of C?

12. Yes that's right - the VCA approval, sent with the 'standard' 51 point CoC did the trick. It will be interesting to see if your modded CoC will suffice without the VCA approval.

13. Yes, the amended C of C will do it as been told today by Ducati UK that another owner got through after amendment plus heard it from 'the horses mouth' (I am being polite) also today. The fact that you also got accepted in the end via the intervention of a third-party residing in the UK without any further correction by the manufacturer to your C of C copy (that's why I needed you to confirm this) shows that the whole system is corrupt, it can't be anything else - why should a third party's declaration given after looking over the UK MOT details and a declaration from a UK garage be any more trustworthy than the UK residing government-approved people that issued them?? It doesn't make any sense.

14. Hi guys, recently imported my 1198s from the UAE back to the UK, been going through the same hassle. Sent all relevant document and fees to the DVLA only to have it returned six weeks later with a demand for a COC from Ducati Italy.
    Read various posts on the procedure to follow so sent a request off to Ducati Italy via email, received a telephone call the very next day from a nice young Italian lass who said that indeed it was possible to obtain the COC but I should go to my nearest dealer and request them to request it from the relevant department in Italy. I went straight away to my nearest dealer (Coventry) who I must say where very pleasant and explained my case, basically they told me the lady from Italy was talking crap and that I should take the matter up with Ducati Uk. Although not so happy with what I was hearing I took them at their word. I have been in contact with Ducati UK and have sent them all the documentation, pictures etc and am now waiting on hopefully receiving a COC sometime in the near future when I will again try to deal with the DVLA.

15. You need to make sure that the C of C from Italy actually includes the wording as regards mph on the speedometer and that the headlamps dip to suit vehicles that drive on the left hand side of the road. If this wording is not actually on the C of C then the DVLA will reject it back to you.

16. The full 51 point CoC doesn't include that wording, so I guess a change is needed to the CoC template - i.e make it a 53 point CoC. Someone would need to convince the bureaucrats to make the change though!

17. Thanks I will mention this to Ducati UK

18. Can you supply contact details for Ducati UK please?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information