1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Lube Chain While Keeping It Looking Clean?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by dubcat, Apr 25, 2019.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  1. If you can find it, Profi Dry Lube does a marvellous job of keeping the chain clean / resisting dirt & grime. It’s superior to owt else I’ve used in that respect.

I’ve no knowledge of its lubricating properties etc.

https://www.profi-products.de/en/news/1/profi-dry-lube-400-ml?c=8

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Throw up an image of your build

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is worth a watch , goes on a bit tho

• Like Like x 3
  4. Doh , just noticed its already posted :rolleyes:

6. FortNine do a really educational chain cleaning video also:

I won't be using petrol on a rag again....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clean it and use what the manufacturer recommends ... GEAR OIL ... !!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Used IPONE cleaner today (bought 'cos of the video) for the first time and it did a great job on my chain and other bits too:blush:. Not only that, the spray-or-pipe cap thingy is trick and very controllable, so less wasted cleaner.

All I have to do now is remember where I bought it so I can answer the inevitable question......:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cleaned mine today....old rag and some liberally sprayed WD40 (always buy it in 4ltr tubs) soak the rag, wipe back and forth moving the wheel round to get to the whole chain, then chain wax to finish.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The recipe for WD40 is supposed to be a "trade secret " .

But guess what .....
    .... paraffin , and that delicious perfume account for nearly all of it !

• Like Like x 1
  11. It works best when the chain is nice and hot like after a ride. It gives it the chance to permeate into the links really nicely before it flashes off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. I've tried so many over the years and I settled on Motorex , mainly
    because it has excellent penetration and very little "sling" ( unless you buy the lighter race version ) .
    My case might be unusual because I rode the bike for many years in a hot dusty climate , and that really punishes chains .

My thinking for those conditions is :
    lube + dust + grit + heat = grinding paste

The Motorex is very easy to clean down ( with paraffin ) , and I got way more mileage out of the top DID X-ring chains than I ever did with any other chain goop that I used .

..... but that's just my 2 chetrums worth

PS - I once tried a Scott-Oiler ... but way too much hassle ... I mean really !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ABB9629A-2277-4FCA-85B3-254D0DED7094.png Motul “C2 Road” chain lube goes on thin so stands a chance of getting between the rollers and pins, it thickens up when on the chain after a few minutes and doesn’t fling much, more convenient to use than gear oil, because it’s in a spray tin, does a good job.

PS make sure you squirt it between the roller and inner plate, that way it stands a chance of getting under the roller, nothing will get past the O rings but they already have grease trapped behind them, generally spray all over the chain to stop it rusting and wipe the excess off by holding a rag around it and holding it in place whilst rotating the wheel backwards by hand, do this on the bottom run of the chain to stop your hand being dragged into the rear sprocket, never ever do this with the engine running!

#35 Mark9, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Another vote for Wurth, never had any problems.

15. Cleaning with Simple Green and Kerosene as a back-up.
    Lubing with Motul C5 paste and Motul C2 Chain Lube Road as a back-up.
    Scrubbing with a grunge brush and the wifey's toothbrush as a back-up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I just use GT85 for both jobs

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. @nd chain thread ive posted on tonight so wont repeat it all

I dislike the Dry spray stuff as i find that at the slightest hint of wet it just disapears

My cleaner and lube of choice is SDOC

Little fling and the cleaner is brilliant

I used to use PJ1 blue label for tours as it is like super glue so it lasts well but it does tend to fly everywhere

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I am another Motorex lube user. Brilliant stuff.
    I use the offroad stuff as it's clear. Minimum fling and a perfect job, just dont overdo the lube and you always have a clean well lubed chain and a clean wheel ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information