1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Run A New Engine In

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Mark9, Nov 17, 2018.

1. So there we have it. Just cane em from the crate.

I recently bought a new car. I asked the SE if there was any running procedure (purely out of interest). No, was his reply.

I had a full rebuild on my 1098R at Moto Rapido. Again, I asked any running in. No, was the answer. Do a steady lap then pull the pin were the exact words....

• Like Like x 1
  2. So, why do most bike manufacturers suggest a running in period then ?

3. Because they're fucking fuckers... That's why.

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Thanks for clearing that up ...………..I always wondered.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. We aim to please ;)

6. Maybe its just a way of giving owners/riders time to adjust from the likes of a lackluster ktm_bagofnails. To a more dramatic exhilarating experience or breakdown of a duke!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. This is what I commented on above. The ring gap difference was quite large considering the mileage covered. And as I said, this won't be an issue until the gap goes out of spec - that may be at 10,000 , 30,000, or 50,000 miles. The point being that lots of riders will get rid of the bike long before that mileage is covered.

Some of Matt's stuff in the past, I haven't agreed with and I unsubscribed a while ago. But he does make the same point that it will the owners of higher mileage bikes who will get to suffer non run-in bikes. Also, I agree on why does every single bike manufacturer (that I know of) tell you to run in the bike when new?

9. So why not cars? What's the difference?

10. When I bought a Toyota, they still said don’t have constants throttle, adjust speed, drive differently for the first 1000 miles

And not many car drivers Rev the tits off them ;)

11. Got to love owners who follow the running in process by the letter, for most, judging by used Ducati mileage, that would mean selling the bike before you can extract the full power!

I don’t bounce off the limiter, hold the revs or overload - simple.

12. I had a bike (1800cc Harley) run in on a Dynojet, it’s never used oil. A mate years ago screwed his 175 from the start and it was always faster than others but used oil and rattled.

I ride fairly normally, just don’t do long term high speed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Car engines are in less of a state of tune with looser tolerances. They don't rev as high and produce less bhp per litre - well, in the main!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Matt does get excited in these videos. Makes for an entertaining watch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Do you, don't you? It's a much discussed debate these days. If you're looking for reasons to follow procedure and run your bike as per the book, you'll find them. But equally, there are reasons not to bother. Me, I don't bother. I get bored far too quickly. Also, I'm pretty certain it doesn't matter these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Only matters if it blows up and gives the manf an excuse/reason not to pay out, leaving you with a 10k bill.

17. An awful lot of owners chop in after 3 years for latest/greatest or when the PCP runs out so why would they care on long term effect.

I'll be buying these in 10 years time so please run in by the book for me.

TIA.

18. If it blows you'll be covered by the warranty. No question.

19. If thy have a running in procedure and you didn’t follow it? May be challenged as negligent

20. Highly unlikely. And if it got to a legal bun fight, the consumer (me/us) would piss it.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information