1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Turn A 1299 Panigale Into A Sport Classic

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Connor, May 1, 2020.

1. Hopefully someone more in the panigale world can answer this, how much would expect to pay for a whole rear assembly (wheel,swingarm, shock, linkage..etc)? Of course it depends if its an R setup with ohlins but a general price would be ideal. I've been debating getting a 899 double sided one because they're so cheap, but its just not sexy enough.

2. My 2nd hand 1199 swinger was about £650. But seller neglected to say hub was seized. Scum.
    So 2nd hand hub&axle from Holland was a few hundred.
    Maybe shock, used 400 plus a few hundred for a 2nd hand rear wheel if o/e & not mag/carbon or forged ally.

• Like Like x 2
  3. My rear BST carbon is coming off in May as TKCC are doing a rear for V4. I already have the front TKCC.
    But probably too late for your project?

4. As I need so much it's probably best for me to wait for a 1199/1299 track bike to come up for sale, and use the whole thing as a donor bike. If I get it all individually it'll alot more pricey I imagine

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Just flicking through this thread....its scary when people are this clever!

6. Update time..

I've got all the machined parts finished: IMG_20210404_185223.jpg
    IMG_20210402_170148.jpg

It blows my mind to think they were made on a lathe, the lathe milling does work on alloy but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm definitely not going to try it on the steel or titanium versions of the chassis.
    IMG_20210326_132843.jpg

I used a 10mm endmill, I planned to use a roundnose to radius the inside corners but it's so over engineered in these parts that it didn't need it.

..I also lost the end mill.

IMG_20210326_124406.jpg
    IMG_20210404_141243.jpg

It's nice to be able to get really good precision on these parts, few surfaces are actually that important in terms of dimension accuracy, but I get a little obsessed and want everything to be spot and have a great surface finish... That will be lost under powder coating later. Sad!

IMG_20210326_184446.jpg

IMG_20210325_174337.jpg

I can't tell you how much I love that four jaw, the stuff it can do is incredible, buying the lathe is certainly one of my better decisions!
    IMG_20210404_185832.jpg

All ready for some tubing and a really good welding session, should be finished by the end of the week!

IMG_20210404_185836.jpg
    IMG_20210404_185827.jpg

I had a go at bending some tubing this evening, I must of been delusional thinking it would be easy to bend 35mm 4mm thick aluminium, you just need 'some' leverage.
    IMG_20210405_195331.jpg
    IMG_20210405_192135.jpg

I'm beating myself up a little on how long everything is taking, but I just don't have the right kit. My little Clarke bandsaw has seen no end of problems, I went to cut a section of steel today and one of the wheels seized solid on the shaft. It takes forever to cut anything too. But the more I think about it, the more I think if I had all the right tools, a team of people to help, more space and more money... I'd be a manufacturer not a guy in a shed! The end is in sight, the project in terms of university will be done in two weeks, which means I won't have time to do the steel or titanium version in time for my dissertation project. I'm not too dissapointment primarily because I'm not in hospital dying and I'm bloody lucky covid hasn't effected me or my family, and secondly I couldn't get to uni to use the surface plate and test the stiffnesses and validate my design anyway.

..don't panic! I'm still making the steel and titanium ones, the tubing is in my garage, I'll just have to wait for uni to open during the summer so I can use their mill and do it properly. Hopefully in time for my master degree project.

I also managed to find some en14a steel for the mounting points and headstock for the steel version, so it's ready to be made. It's chrome coated which is probably going to be a total bastard to machine but we'll see. I'm looking forward to the steel version, that'll be the best one I reckon.. I'll have to paint that one red.

IMG_20210405_195331.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. I'm flattered, but... I'm an idiot with too much time! Aha

• Like Like x 1
  8. Race Track fairings can definitely provide the sporty look as these Fairings are mostly designed for track use which means there is no provision for mirrors, lights or side stands.

#48 reactiveparts, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
  9. Hi @reactiveparts. Thanks for joining this forum. Now that you’re on here, if we have any questions about any of your products or delays on orders, will we get answers? Just asking because your customer services at least for me, have been dire in that they don’t bother replying to emails. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stick with it fella, you have to suffer for your art. I'm totally in awe of your skills, I have used a lathe occasionally (badly) it would scare the pants off me using a milling tool as a trepanner, can't wait to see the results (but I suppose I'll have to)

11. Cheers Sev.

• Like Like x 1
  12. That’s “nonreactive parts”then………. Brilliant

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hmm Ive not had any response from @reactiveparts either. Nor confirmation, nor any communication. I'm beginning to wonder if I made the correct decision to use them.

14. Evidence so far suggest you haven’t :(

15. Screenshot_20220910-110508~2.jpg
    Sorry folks, I completely forgot to post any photos of the finished frame!

Here's some more;
    Screenshot_20220910-110536~2.jpg Screenshot_20220910-110514~2.jpg Screenshot_20220910-110501~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-110529.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-110514.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-110508.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-110536.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. I ended up getting a job at Triumph as an engineer, so unfortunately this project has been put on hold whilst I get settled and allow a bit more time.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Great skills, they will be lucky to have you :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Any numbers on weight difference? Did you do any stress related simulations in SolidWorks comparing the frames? Great work and congrats on the job!

19. It's obviously a future model so I can't say! My work is much more budget and bigger scale manufacturing rather than like this project, which is why I'll always keep my hands dirty in the garage doing my own thing :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information