1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Turn A 999 Into A Sport Classic

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Connor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Ok.. This is more boring stuff but its so crucial!!

06wi0152IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png 06wi0323IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Hopefully pretty pictures is a bit more interesting than numbers!
    If you go on the website you can directly compare them and overlay the images which is a great visual, unfortunately it doesn't let you download overlaid images!!!

Below is the hybrid 999/SC and the model I based my modifications towards. 04wi0152IaRtJVAVAUmUsV10n.png
    -This was done by raising the bars 2"
    -Bringing the rider 2" forward (its actually done by pulling the bars back in the software..same thing)
    -Raising the pegs by 0.5" and back 1"

Another nice little detail is it lets you pick between sitting forward, back or center in the seat which also changes all of these angles so you can suit it to your riding style.

The other detail which is quite important, especially because 999's have very flat seats is the angle of the seat. That's particularly tricky because what's comfortable whilst sitting on the bike definitely won't be at 100+ mph (not like I'd do such a thing officer). For the life of me I can't remember what I based my numbers off, I believe I took measurements from the front of the seat subtracted them to give me the difference in height between the front and rear and...... rightsides.gif
    With a bit of high school maths you can calculate angle a knowing height 'opp' and length of the seat 'adj'.

I think I was somewhere in the range of 10-15 degrees, I'll need to check.

If your not a complete nob then you'll just buy one of these of ebay for £5.. s-l1600.jpg
    Also handy for knowing which steering head angle you bike has without taking it to bits!​

04wi0152IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

• Like Like x 4
  2. Also handy to note that I got my tail section from a company called MotoForza.
    www.motoforzafairings.com

The tail unit comes in two sizes;
    version 1 which is smaller- 52 euros
    ducati_imola_seat_dimensions1_.jpg
    version 2 which is the larger - 74 euros
    ou-cr5-uni_seat_cafe_racer_version5_dimensions1_.jpg

These also come in carbon, I didn't get one because I wasn't sure when I ordered it if I would actually use it. When I bin it at Donnington in March I'll get one :bucktooth:

I cut up some of the original seat section, ended up not using it (Yup it was the fancy expensive suede one!! Bugger!!) I did how ever make a mold from it and the bonded GRP bit is below; IMG_20170209_233001_preview.jpg

By some weird miracle the radius on the seat is the same?! This mean't I could use some of the original foam rather than completely reshaping it.

IMG_20170226_145926_preview.jpg

This was also the trial fit for the exhaust.

No-one is ever going to believe me, I've learned to accept it. BUT, I had this style exhaust on the bike before I ever seen the 1299 superleggera exhaust or knew about the WSBK system.
    .....Basically, they all copied me.

I have always liked the Zard system for the SC but F*ck trying to make that work on this, Also Termi probably spent alot of hours making their 57mm system and I don't think some young thundercat in a leaky shed is going to compete with it. Needless to say its termi up to the Y branch under the seat, Then I f*cked it.

IMG_20170121_212332_810_preview.jpg

This was another idea but.....Numberplate. You can see in this picture how I chopped the original subframe.

I always loved 'pie cut' or lobster tail exhaust systems, Everyone told me that they don't flow aswell because its obviously not a smooth radius... Apparently it works for a certain Marc Marquez;
    Repsol-Honda-tail-pipe-sections-L.jpg

So my bodge attempt went ahead, My little disclaimer is that I have never tig welded stainless before and not anything this thin..

Here goes..
    IMG_20170306_215821_preview.jpg

58mm tubing cut at an angle which defers depending on how many 'slices of pie' you want, Stop thinking about steak pie. Stay with me..

8362-86ad49efcc946c793c242b77c3d2bc6d.jpg

Then clean the section and deburr making sure its as flat as can be to avoid gaps for welding;
    IMG_20170306_215836_preview.jpg

Tape together to mock up ;

IMG_20170306_221830_preview - Copy.jpg

Tack to make sure your happy then weld 'er up!

IMG_20170312_185615_preview - Copy.jpg

note the 'sealing flange' on the intake side.

I knew this system would be horrendously noisey so I wanted to try with just one pipe first then add the other; IMG_20170312_190000_preview - Copy.jpg

I have a video of this;

Sounds like a f*cking tractor, dredful. Two exhausts it is.

IMG_20170326_222253_preview.jpg IMG_20170326_222430_preview.jpg IMG_20170414_224501_310_preview.jpg
    Notice the £3 ebay sticker that says its road legal aha

Horrendously cringy sticker and its complete.
    IMG_20170502_200051_preview.jpg

This exhaust system is partly the reason I didn't do any trackdays on 2017, It. is. loud.

Far too loud, it passed an MOT..somehow but its getting changed over the winter to something much uglier but quieter!​

IMG_20170306_221349_preview.jpg

IMG_20170306_215836_preview.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. Definitely better sounding..

• Like Like x 3
  4. Good on you for tackling the weld yourself - not the neatest job for sure but better to have a stab at it - it's the only bit of my build that I leave for the professional (is that the right word @rcv4 ) :)

5. great thread, admire the work you have tackled, good for you

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Student grant? 'When I were a lad' I left school to work at a glass works, was on shifts at 17 working many double shifts and had a Z1000 at the same age. Turbocharged it at 18, using the glass works tool shop for making the headers for me. Still lived with parents of course. Every penny went on bikes and beer, not a lot has changed, apart from lots goes on Mrs Ex and Mini Ex now :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Loving the pie cuts and determination, good on you man! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. really ???

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I was attempting to be nice... Obviously it didn't work ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I think it came across as condescending. I would love to have the enthusiasm of @Connor let alone the talent. A young 'un to be admired (seems they aren't all bad!).

Bet his trousers are halfway down his arse though ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Agree totally - this fella has more knowledge and skills than most of us here put together - good on you @Connor - best build thread here :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Best and quickest :mad:

13. Faster not necessarily better, eh ladies.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. I read an article a while back about how long it takes Ford to design, make and produce a brand new model of car. It takes 7 years with around 300 people involved in the design stage alone.

How long do you think it would take one kid in a shed?.. that's why I've not made it from scratch :p

15. It takes around 3 years to design and make a new car but many many more than 300 people :)

16. Christmas shopping starting to get to you mate?

17. I was thinking more like these folks modify the frameworks, make body work from scratch etc...

Hey i dont mind the cafe racer look, its different...

I would like to do a monster that actually would be a proper monster looking, ratted, ugly... These monsters are too pretty to have the model name...

18. Is it not 2-3 years for a new development, like new updated version of a car and 5-7 for a new model? I could be wrong..

19. Brilliant build inho. I loved the SC1000S when they came out but thought they had too radical riding position and too expensive. They were 9k, same price as a monster S4RS(998 deep dump/ohlins) I think otherwise I mightve bought one.
    The SC999 connor has built ticks all the boxes for me, well done mate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The problem I have with building a frame is that it's so much more than just welding bits together, to do it well you have to have a very good knowledge of stress analysis, the kind of torsional ridgity you want between the headstock and the swingarm and even the like of Ducati with the carbon framed bikes get it wrong.

I'd really love to get more involved in that, which is one of the main reasons I'm doing the uni course I am. I'm popping in later and I'll show you some of the maths involved.. it's terrifying.. aha

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information