1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Turn A 999 Into A Sport Classic

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Connor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Great work Connor.

When you finish Uni what do you hope to do?
    I’m sure many on here would like to know and wish you good luck with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. What did you retension the belts to?
    Hopefully not the new belt tension which allows for a degree of stretch.
    In service tension should be circa 90Hz

3. Short answer.... I'm not sure.

I'm mainly interested in two areas, chassis design and performance engine design. Working at an engine builders in the past was very interesting but the future of IC engines in the next 50 years is a little hazey. I'd love to see some car engine technology in bikes like direct injection or variable compression ratio, but most bikes companies don't bother. Purely because all these systems add weight. So I'm more drawn to chassis design, it's bugged me for a while because there's not really much info out there on specifics of a chassis. When you ride a Harley, it feels like a Harley when you ride an R1 it feels like it and so on. For example what did Ducati do on the v4 that makes it so easy to turn? Why did Ducati have so many problems when they went to the carbon chassis in GP? It's all chassis flex in certain areas rigidity in others. So I'd like to work for Triumph or Norton developing chassis's and suspension. Ex students currently work for Moto3/2/gp teams but the reality of that is kinda a nightmare. Away every weekend to a different part of the world and never really being settled or seeing your family. I've done the traveling thing before and I always like to have my shed to tinker on personal projects. Although if the opportunity came up I would love to live in Bologna for a few years working for the big boys, the other half is keen on it too. Its a beautiful city.

Just roll the dice and see where I end up :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. It was between 90-100 but my plan is to keep a close eye on them, because I don't have fairings it's a two second job to take the cover off :)

5. 100 is the new, pre-stretch figure for ExactFit belts. Imho, anything more than 92 or so is going to be too much and I would worry could lead to failure of belts or bearings.

#145 Old rider, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. That's fantastic! Normally wouldn't be my style at all but the level of craftmanship and love is brilliant!

7. Winter tear down has begun, didn't expect the road to help but ah well, onwards and upwards.

IMG_20181021_121554.jpg IMG_20181021_153707.jpg IMG_20181021_153703.jpg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Oh dear!
    Lucky with the clutch though - you could have ended up with a wrecked on if it weren’t for that sturdy cover.

9. Yeah, go narrower :upyeah:

10. Ugh that sucks! Glad it's all fairly easily repairable however.

11. Bit more work being done!
    IMG_20190126_155127.jpg
    Tank has had sections removed and the cover is about to get remade to make it nice and narrow.

Jobs list isn't too bad;
    -Frame and new later model swingarm to be powdercoat
    - replace broken brake lever and mechanism
    - redo tank
    - fit new rearsets and quickshifter
    - fit fancy new carbon belly pan IMG_20190104_174804_Bokeh.jpg - fix crash damage
    - fit front indicators
    - service and valve check
    - replace some bolts with stainless and tart up/paint some bits

...then oulton park and maybe Spa in August!

IMG_20190120_161859.jpg

IMG_20190122_184053.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. Bit more done recently, plan to have it done by the end of next month.

Seat has been redesigned slightly with a much narrower leg indentation, which should help when hanging off the thing!
    IMG_20190210_122811.jpg
    And the frame and new swingarm are back from the powdercoaters; IMG_20190224_164148.jpg
    Which has revealed a new problem! I assumed that the older style swingarm chain adjusters would have the same width has the later model 'square type' adjusters, so a simple machining in the mill would make them fit the new swingarm. Ruh-oh.
    So does anyone have or know of a set of this puppies for sale? Screenshot_20190224-164718.jpg
    Only place I can find them is Australia and America

Next up is to out it all back together, Damper Dyno the öhlins to shock to see how it's performing. Should be interesting as it's been a while since I've used it. Then setup a new pc3 fuel map and see how the new quickshifter is working and have a play with the kill time.

IMG_20190224_164200.jpg

13. Once it's all up and running, I plan to weight it and calculate where COG is. I think the weight bias was 45%f/55%r which isn't too far away although it feels quite top heavy. Over next winter I might move the fuel tank lower and under the seat, and relocate the electronics under the tank, which should help with mass centralisation. I have a fair bit of data on a 1199s which I'll try and base mine on.

14. I needed a set of those. I the end I manually machined up a pair.

15. You will probably find that the exhaust will need modding to fit the newer swingarm.

16. Yeah I thought so, going to fit it all up first and see the best way forward :)

17. You don't have any dimensions do you?

18. Not anymore, sorry.

If you are not in a hurry, I could remove my ones and measure them. It won't be for a couple of weeks tho.

19. I'd like to get it all together by the end of the week, thanks though!

20. You can kinda work the sizes out.
    Hole is spindle dia.

Slot width is dimension of flat on spindle.

Full thickness is enough so that adjuster screw is in full contact.

Clamping thickness is enough to sit flat part of spindle in at one side and enough threads sticking out of other.

I am sure they are square when looking face on. Those sizes will be the height of the swingarm slots.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information