1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydrodipping

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by BigAlan, Mar 13, 2018.

1. As some of us here have had parts hydrodipped and had to pay a high price for the service I have decided to have a go myself.

I have purchased a kit initially just using the carbon fibre film but as we know there are thousands of options available, and a largish water tank and I intend to practice on a mate’s fairings from his track bike.

I will post my results for your approval or disapproval.

If all goes well I will be offering this service to anybody who wants it at a lot less than the retailers as being retired my costs are nowhere near as high.

Keep your eye out, if you hear nothing then I f****d up.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 4
  2. What is hydrodipping please?
    Excuse my ignorance, genuine question.

3. Swirly whirly paint dipping type stuff,,,

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Coating parts in various effect finishes, have a look on you tube:upyeah:

#5 Wayne58, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. [​IMG]
    It's so you grow this stuff?

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Thats Hydroponics ^^^^

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. And I don’t do hydroponics.

Mind you until this weekend I don’t do hydrodipping.

8. Can we have a hydroponics section pretty please!!!!!1

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. its been 90 minutes, he must haved f$£ked up?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have a kit and have used it.
    The hardest bit is to get the film to float on the water 1st without air bubbles trapped underneath and if they are, persuading them to the edge. 2nd not getting water on top.
    I am sure you will practice on smaller parts before trying a fairing panel.
    The piece of film for a fairing panel will require two people to lay it will require some co ordination
    I have a Carbon wrapping kit and used the clear resin finish from that to coat the pieces I did which gives them a rock hard shiny finish

11. I agree with GunZen coz at my age I cant find the stuff. Goddamned kids bogarting all the good shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. By the way my bikes are not covered in Fake Carbon. I got mine to use on 2 small panels inside the fairing of the MV.
    I could not get a paint match, I could not get new ones and genuine Carbon cost over £400 for 2 little panels. So in this instance it worked for me

I am in the process of making a race Belly pan for the 1098. Once I have finished the plug and made the mould the first one will be made of Fibre glass which I may hydro dip. Or I may use that to make second mould and go to Carbon

13. Bogart.......Quality!

14. Well due to the council not delivering my water tank (55 litre recycling bin) I have yet to try the process, if it’s not here by Tuesday then I will nip down the local Aldi where I am assured they have some.

Will report back with progress.

15. EEFFAACB-0E9D-47C1-A81C-6363F974EE1E.jpeg So this dipping lark is not as easy as the videos indicate, I can prepare the part easy enough, lay the film on the water easy enough but getting the activator and time for the film to hydrate is a pain.

So I have had three goes and worked out I have a mild activator so need more, practic makes perfect, the attached picture is my third go, it’s not perfect and I would not offer this service to anybody yet. I intend to practice more next week.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Still, good enough to know it is witchcraft :worried: especially the violin with no neck :eek:

#17 Exige, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Do you play a violin?
    Steve

18. Violin, witchcraft music :worried:

19. Keep at it, looks like a good third try.

Interesting to see how you get on

Do Not Sell My Personal Information