1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard 1100s Down Change Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Harry hall, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Just purchased a 2007 hypermotard 1100s with 12,500 miles on the clock.

While riding I've noticed that once the bike is warm I'm struggling to down change into 1st. (For pulling of at junctions) it doesn't seam to click, in stead the leaver just springs up and stays in second. Has anyone had any experience of this? Or know what it could be. Have no problem when the bike is cold seems to be when ridden for a while.

It's my first Ducati so hopefully it could be me doing something wrong! Have got 3 mounths warranty from the dealer but before I make the call just wanted to see what you guy think!

2. Welcome to the Forum Harry :upyeah:

Sounds like clutch drag, if under warranty get the dealer to take a look at it.

ps, it’s a good idea to introduce yourself in the Newbie’s section, along with photos of your bike(s) and bins - don’t ask:)

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Hello :upyeah:, i'm with @West Cork Paul on this get the dealer to sort it, and pics with bins @Ducbird loves a good bin pic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I do love a bin pic it keeps me happy :)

Welcome into our mad house

5. Does it go down the 'box ok other than to first? Can you select 1st ok from neutral? Can you select neutral ok from 2nd?

There's adjustment for this in the gearbox so could be that something's out of adjustment or worn, especially if the answer is 'No' to the questions...

6. Hi Keith the answer to all though questions is Yes no problem. Goes down the box okay apart from 1st. Selects 1st fine from neutral when the bikes not me ridden for length of time and same for seccond. Seems to have an issue only once the bike has been ridden for a while!

7. Hello chap,

Yes I think your right it's going to have to go back to the dealer. I've only done 50 or so miles on it! I'm going to give it a good ride first just to make sure!

Yes will so! Sorry a bit new to forums. Thanks for the advice!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Presumably you’re only selecting 1st or neutral when stationary? And when going down through the box to 2nd you’re doing that on the move? I made those assumptions and thus think it’s clutch drag. It’s easy enough to fix as afaik it’s a dry clutch on those but as the bike’s new to you and has a warranty, as said, take it back ASAP. I appreciate it’s a bit of a time consuming faff to do so but if you start attacking the issue yourself you will likely void the warranty.

9. Sometimes I select 1st while moving at slow speed. For example when approaching a junction. So slowing right down and going down the gears on the move while slowing down. I drop into second then while at a speed suitable for 1st I try to select it. But I don't get that 'click' instead the pedal just springs back up and stay in 2nd! Then end up stalling trying to pull away!

I think your right I'll speak to the people I bought it from asap. Just means 2 hour drive in the van to take it back. Was hoping it was just somthing I'm doing wrong! ,

10. Tell the dealer that this is a warm-bike problem so it's no use them looking at it on their terms! Ride it there fully warmed up, along with its problems, and have the people check it immediately. Yes, I know, not so easy in the real world...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Doesn't sound like anything you're doing wrong at all, you should be able to cleanly select all the gears and neutral, albeit there'll be a slight "clunk" as the snick home. Out of curiosity keep us all posted in this thread please :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information