1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypermotard Top Box Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by CamBJones, Jan 25, 2015.

1. The hepco and becker mount i had needed to be complete taken off, sanded, wire brushed and repainted. You could pick the paint off the blistering was so bad. Reminded me of a fiat in the 80's!
    But as Brassflute said, acf500 is superb. Costs a bit, (€20 a can in Ireland) but a can goes a long way. Its a protective spray that won't discolour any rubber bits. Makes cleaning much easier. It goes on like a thick silicone spray, I use an old cloth to wipe it over bigger panels like the tank. But a light spray over the top box mount and then the box itself is worth doing.
    But don't get it on tyres, I did the first time! Only a few drips, but ended up washing it off cos I was really nervous on corners!

2. Top Box now installed. Looks better in the flesh than the pic.. although I know many are not fans of a Top Box at all for a Hyper

The H&B is rock solid and a relatively easy install despite occasionally feeling like I'm doing brain surgery trying to get nuts on with limited space to get fingers in. (That all sounded a bit odd)

Thanks for the advice on the acf-50 and hopefully will see it last a little longer too.

Givi Top Box is pretty high quality and I think styling is probably the best for a Hyper...

Wiring the Givi brake lights in took some trial and error, see other thread of mine about wiring diagram, but got it worked out.

Cheers

[​IMG]

#23 CamBJones, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Good effort. There's no getting round the fact that it makes me wince when I look at it but on the flip side you've made a hyper work for you which means more hyper miles and that makes me smile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. New to the forum and my first substantive post.:Happy:

I will soon be the proud owner of an 821 and I need (more than want) to add a top box. I'm sensitive to the aesthetics and I think that the Givi Trekker Outback will be a sympathetic fit. (Do you agree?)

It has a Givi monokey fitting but I can't find a rack mounting kit on any websites (including Givi's). Has anyone fitted this and if so how?

Cheers!

[​IMG]

5. The Hepco and Becker should work with the Givi universal plate. That is what worked for me and then I mounted be Givi box on top.

Now I've fitted the Zard exhaust though the H&B mounting plate only attached to the front two bolts. So I'm trying to work out how to fix it.

6. Thanks for your comments CamBJones and Markthebike.

OK, so this is what has happened so far...

I ordered a Givi mounting kit (SRA7403) which was supposed to be suitable for the Hypermotard 821. When it arrived the mounting arms didn't fit the bike (the supplied bolts were way too long) and on further investigation it seems that Givi don't do a mounting kit for the Hypermotard and the kit which I received in intended only for the Hyperstrada. This is all a bit odd, due to the similarities between the bikes, plus some websites state that the SRA7403 is suitable for the Hypermotard 821. Actually, the SRA7403 requires the presence of the grab rail (standard on the H-strada but not on H-motard) which should mean that it should never be sold for the Hypermotard!

I looked into Hepco and Becker mounting kit but their UK distributor doesn't supply one. I contacted H&B in Germany who told me that they do manufacture one and they sent me details, but it's obviously not yet available through their UK distributor. In any case, the way that it is mounted means that you're not supposed to mount a top box on the plate (too heavy) but should only use a soft bag.

So I went back to the Givi mounting kit and had another look. As it happens, my Hyper has a grab rail so after a bit of a fiddling around with some nuts and washers I had lying around I have managed to mount it securely to the bike. In summary:

Hypermotard 821 + GIVI SRA7403 + some random nuts and washers = :upyeah:

I need to change over some of the washers for a more elegant solution, but once I've done so I'll post some pics.

Let's just hope it all holds together!!!

7. Nice work. Do you have any pictures?

8. Damn that looks like a big top case on that rear rack, was it hard to install the universal give mounting plate on the Hepco Becker rack? My rear ducati rack snapped the first week i had it and i've never looked back but am seriously excited to see another rear rack that can hold that much weight! How has it held up for you mate? What do you think is the weight limit on the HB rack.

P.S - don't let the others razz you about the look i think it looks pretty cool!

9. No on multiple levels....just no...

10. Hey Urindanger, it was super useful, for me, as I dropped my wife to work on my morning communte and needs to put her gear and my gearin the top box. It acually works very well. The install was easy and it felt very sercure. I had not worries with it.

I no longer do that though as the set up only works with standard pips and I have a full Zard system on now. You lose 2 of the 4 securing bolts. I did run it for a little while with it only being secured by the front two bolts but I was just nervouce over evey bump. So all the gear is sitting in my basement now.

11. Cam, I found your thread while searching for a top case for my 2008 Hypermotard 1100. I like your set up. How did you determine which Givi case would work with the H&B rack? Did you look at the H&B top case, if so, which ones? Also, If your set up is gathering dust in the basement maybe you would like to sell it?

12. Hi Bachmann. My set up has been sitting in the basement since I got the Zards. Happy to sell it but I'm in the UK, looks like you're in the USA?

13. I am in the US.

Which Givi top case do you have? What are the approximate dimensions and weight.I can try to determine shipping cost.

14. Where in the US are you? I come to Boston usually a few times a year although next trip probably won't be till Jan 18

I'll get dimensions for you tomorrow

I'm pretty sure it's the V47 TECH

https://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monokey/V47 TECH

Do Not Sell My Personal Information