1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyside Ducati. No Rides Of Used Bikes Allowed?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by MrToots, Aug 11, 2017.

1. I've paid £20k for my 1299s and didn't ride it before i paid for it and was delivered to my door.
    Just looked at it, started it and new it's mine :) .
    I must of say it only had 700miles on the clock so i new what i was buying, an almost brand new bike with lots of extras already fitted.

2. As I'm led to understand it is down to the law change in the VED system, now that Road Tax cannot be transfered S/H bikes cannot legally be ridden as they are not taxed, if the dealer were to tax the machine he would first need to formally take ownership and that would add another owner to the log book, punters cannot ride on trade plates so that avenue is closed, therefore the only bikes you'll get a test on are demonstrators or ex demo's belonging to that dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Test drove my car with the dealer in it, on trade plates. Maybe the dealer will have to ride pillion :p

4. I recently looked at a 999s at Hyside, it's been up for sale for a very long time, popped in to see it and they were selling the bike on behalf of a client of there's so can imagine they probably wouldn't have let me test ride for this reason alone.
    But I'm sure if you paid for the bike and done a deal based on if the bike didn't ride well and had a major problem then they would refund or recitify it.
    (The 999s they had for sale wasn't for me though as it was from a collector but had quite a bit of paperwork missing so this put me off and it was overpriced.)

But quite a nice Dealer to deal with so I'm sure they are just being cautious which is totally understandable with the amount of blatant bike theft.

5. They said it was "due to the new tax rules".....thought it strange as bikes can have trade plates,same as cars.

6. Bikes have the same trade plates regime as cars....I checked.

7. I had a test ride on a Pikes Peak using a trade plate all trade plates are for us to satisfy the road tax requirements nothing to do with MOT or insurance

8. Hey Mr Toots welcome! I think you've got enough replies there to keep you going, but in my opinion it mainly all revolves around what Pete1950 and Hishine have said.
    I've always been like you, bought bikes privately and in my case only really ever approached dealers for parts/accessories. However, by pure coincidence just now in May 2017 when I was looking to get another bike I dealt with Hyside in Romford. Keep in mind that at the point that I asked for a test ride I'd already been communicating with them for about a week and even though they had never seen me, our exchanges I'm sure had no doubt given them something to go on to make a slightly more informed decision when they agreed to let me take the machine for a test ride.
    As for the point Kato made, not going against what he's said with the following, although in some cases there'll be a way around it... and I mean without breaking the law!

9. Thanks for the input! You lot are a friendly bunch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information