1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m An (ex) Ape Man

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Expat Jack, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Nice. I'm trying to convince myself that I could live with the 1/2 horsepower version of the Tuono as a daily.

2. Dont feel too bad, this is from a post on aprilia forum.. YIKES

Bought a Tuono V4, brand new 2 weeks ago and only have 260 miles on it so far. I jumped from a ‘19 factory which I dearly miss but I think I’ll get used to it. I just can’t comprehend how much gas I need to put on the new one. Already filled it up 6 times. I’m barely making 50 miles between fill ups and that’s with the touring setting with seldom setting on the sport mode.

• WTF WTF x 1
  3. Hmm. Update. I rode over 200 miles yesterday.
    First fuel stop at 95 miles. I drove through town centres, B roads, a roads and a short stretch of dual carriageway. Fuel consumption was showing as c33mpg. Fuel light came on just over 80 miles and I held my nerve until 95. I only managed to get 12.75 litres in the tank which has a capacity of over 17litres. The mpg seems accurate but fuel gage seems very pessimistic. Going back I averaged high 30s including some proper riding.

Very comfy. Stupid quick. Clutch needs adjusting. Fuelling worse even than a 1299. Horrible. In all three road modes. Apparently it’s better in race which I will try next time out.

Booked my first service (having more than tripled the purchase mileage) for early/mid June. Earliest I could get.

So far, so good.

Edit. Fuel tank is 17.9 litre Handbook does not state capacity of reserve but it must be nicely over a gallon suggesting a true range of c120 miles.

#43 Expat Jack, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Greta.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Sounding positive so far. I rode my first Tuono V4 1100 the other week, I did find the fuelling and general feel to be quite agricultural below 4k revs which surprised me a little. Compared to my R1 certainly which is like sewing machine smooth, as long as it's not closed to open throttle on track that you want haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes. Agree. Below 3k certainly it’s a bit of a tractor. But bleeding hell when you open the taps the torque is incredible. I did smile quite a lot on my little journey.

• Like Like x 2
  7. When mine was first serviced it had the Akrapovic pipe fitted and the race map update.
    I ride mine in track mode the most :upyeah: the fuelling feels better

• Like Like x 1
  8. Good to hear. Mine has full system and race map. Will try next ride on it.

9. Oh. I nearly forgot. Whilst booking the first service I also ordered the original red seat for the bike. Previous owner liked the black, but, as @bettes pointed out to me. I am a tart :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Sensitive throttle can be deadened a bit with an o ring between the throttle tube and the housing. But really needs a remap to get rid of the fuel cut off

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tried Race mode today. It’s better than sport (fuelling) for sure. Before setting off I filled up (again!). 95 miles. 2 bars showing this time. 12.12 litres = 35 mpg.
    What a hoot this bike is. Handles really well. Once over it’s super stable and just holds its line. Lovely.
    I think Oxfordshire heard me though. What a noise. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. Yes Oxfordshire heard you but were you in Wiltshire at the time?:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Outstanding :joy::joy:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Bit of an update. The Tuono is going. Last ride will be today. Just can’t live with it as an everyday bike to be honest. It’s a mad, bad, shouty beast. Brilliant fun but not very practical for everyday use. And the only bike I’ve ever owned where several neighbours have told me they “heard me” on my bike :Do_O:confused: The full system and no baffles (which make f all difference) obviously upsets them. Quality of finish is a bit poor - paint is very very thin. Marks if you look at it. MPG now it’s properly run in is not great at <30 if you ride it as intended. But, and here’s the rub - it’s such a bonkers machine I can’t stop myself riding it like a complete tit. Something had to give and it’s the Ape. Shortest ownership of any bike I’ve bought to keep (as opposed to do up and sell).

It’s replacement arrives in a few weeks. It’s a good all rounder. S1000rr. I tried one in 2019 when they came out but wasn’t prepared to chop my Pani out. Incredible machine. I can’t get away from sports bikes :cool: Yet. Period. Maybe in another 5 years?

• Like Like x 2
  15. scratched the itch mate and i know you'll love the bmw. you know it too. cant wait to see it

16. Yes, the S1000RR is indeed a great all rounder. My mate loaned me his to go to the NW200. They go like fuck and will definitely not stop you from tittery :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I’m not expecting a total loss of tittery but just not 100% of every ride :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. What is it they say “better to have loved and lost” and all that bollocks…….
    If the ape was too much tittery, don’t for gods sake buy a hypermotard :joy:

give it a couple of years and you’ll be looking at a Scrambler 1100 in a whole different light, you know it’s true ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. I always wanted a Hyper but way too tall for me. Oh. And correct re better to have loved etc. Ive scratched that itch now.

PS. What’s a Scrambler?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. I loved once and got very itchy afterwards.....:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information