1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 I Dont Know If My Bike Belongs In Here??

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by richard (smithy), Sep 9, 2020.

1. they are a spare set so dont flip out! haha

and with the right eprom will give me a few bhp......as well as shedding lbs!

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. You could join the other resident series naturist @Monners . Pretty sure he's had a daffodil or 5 shoved up his arse at some point...

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. to be fair and all joking aside.......the rear end took a long time to work out! the maths involved in the rocker was helped by some very clever guys that build and race nas cars!

the exhaust isnt just cobbled together in the hope that it will work!

the engine i did myself! because i wouldnt trust it to anyone that i didnt know.

the front end i wanted to update anyway.....thats how i ended up with the 1198 swinger setup.......you lose the speedo pickup with the fork change.....and the 1198 swingarm updates the rear of the bike! the swinger is also a little longer! so dose the same job as the mag racing part! (i would say without the cost but it would be a lie)

i updated the masters for the breaks and clutch, the showa will be swapped out for ohlins but i needed to get a basic riding setup first so i have a base to work from!

the dash was as stated before a quick fix, just to get everything working!

it is a project but its a 996 that was a few years ago on the rd as you see it in the photos!
    its been raced,crashed,bent,broken,blown up and neglected!.......always lovingly restored and dry stored!

the idea is that i end up with a bike that whoever sees it will be wondering what the hell it is but it will always be 99% Ducati........(ept the dash)

at the moment this is where i choose to fritter away my cash, im addicted to tinkering and proud about it!!

• Like Like x 8
    • Love You Love You x 2
  5. It’s your bike dude, do what you want with it :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. There are some on here without Ducatis (me for one) and some without any bike, but we like the craic and variety is the strife of life after all........ :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. haha.....im after a ktm 2 stroke.......tell anyone and i will......buy it if they have one haha

im not just bunging stuff on my bike! i just wanted to put that point across! any bike is a math problem on 2 wheels! one wrong move and a rider goes from (cool as fuc%) to a statistic!! everything i ended up doing was an evolution from a previous upgrade and a engineering solution.......motogp on a budget haha

with regards to the swingarm a guy i know has just come up with a solution for the exhaust problem using a standard rocker for the 848/1198 and the standard 9** exhaust (no welding)
    hes 6 years to late for me......but i do like how my exhaust looks on the bike! and when its running its boom boom loud!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Course it does, bikes are like dogs. Some people think they are Fugly, but to you, they will always be bootifull.

Just like My Tinkerbell Delicious (Show Name)
    IMG_1328.JPG

And all the haters are because everyone knows black is the fastest colour. Them red ones are slow, common and ten a penny.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Where’s my bloody bins :thinkingface::punch:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Here are some very rare and sought after bins from a little festival in Somerset:

7C8679F0-7613-4966-8C7D-D56A53E71385.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. remember it well, Viv was running that stall ^

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Is it the first time this has been done..

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Me neither. Cable ties all the way! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ABSOLUTLY NOT!......
    It was never intended to be like this!

2010 i was at the loacal track to where i lived at the time.....snet'.......the gearbox shredded in second and all the bits went into the front of the engine......i spat oil all over the track and shut down a full 2 hours of track time!!! (not good)

at that point i had a friend over my house and we got drunk and took the bike apart, with a sledge hammer to bust the swinger out to remove the engine!!

i ebay (drunk brought) some 1198 forks and this is where my 996 became one problem after another.........1198 forks= new spindle......lose the speedo pick up......new callipers....masters are no longer strong enough ect ect......

i love a project! but this has been maths and problem solving all the way!

i could have brought more bike with the cash ive spent but its been worth every moment!
    i have hade every component in my hand and know the bike a little to well........i might of even slept on it one or twice haha

• Like Like x 3
  16. i will ask him if he has any spare! if not im sure he will send me the cad so you can get a part made on a cnc!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Yep. I can sing a few bars of that tune and also lol at you carrying out alterations with a sledgehammer! You do one mod and find that it means something else doesn't fit anymore or look right and so before you know it, your bike is like Trigger's Broom and you have a £10k hole in your bank account.

My Monster S4 Special, Carla, started off in 2015 as a cheap (£1,900) daily runaround but then I realised that I didn't really like the bulbous humpback shape of the tank and so I decided to fit a 916 one instead. What I actually wanted was a Streetfighter but couldn't afford one at the time, and so I decided to build one instead. I actually ended up buying an 848SF a couple of years ago, hated it and sold it again within 6 weeks.

Swapping the tank involved losing the airbox and relocating the battery but it also then affected the proportions of the bike and the seat unit looked far too low. That led to the rear half of the subframe being chopped and rewelded at a higher angel but it looked awful, so I then came up with the idea of grafting on a Panigale subframe and seat unit. Once the Pani rear end was fitted, the cheapo box section ally double sided swingarm looked horrible, so we fitted a single sider from an S2R, which of course also meant different wheels were needed, but then we also found that the shock no longer fitted, and so on..... We didn't really measure anything but just did it by eye, the bike developed organically as it went along and ended up like this: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/random-ducati-picture-thread.25287/page-202#post-1722556

18. Pleased to say I’m back after a spell away working! New ecu added and she’s a runner! Pics to follow very shortly

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information