1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 I Got One… Nothing Like I Was After !

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Slingy123, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Because Black Bikes matter? :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. The noises a desmoquattro makes really do give them their character. I used to wear earplugs on all my bikes, but on a 748/9X6 it takes away half the riding experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. As if there’s any other colour !! All my cars are black too, when we bought this house I can only imagine what the poor neighbours thought . Two blacked out BMW’s, a blacked out SUV and all black bikes. Probably thought it was the local ‘supplier’ moving in :D

4. Love the Rolling Stones? Paint it Black!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. “I saw a red Ducati, but I wanted one in blaaaack” :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. The 916 is a much more involving bike than the current crop of electronic-laden offerings from Bologna, in as much as it needs you to put a lot more effort into a ride to get what you want out of it. I still regret selling my 748SPS which smiles per mile, is far and away the most fun I have had on two wheels and very rewarding when it behaved itself. These iconic models, need to be judged as of their time (groundbreaking) and not against modern machinery IMHO, since almost 30 years of development separate them, rendering any comparisons useless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I do love riding my mates 748r and should have bought his old one off him 4 years ago when I could have had it for £8k as it was just so involving to ride, it didn’t seem to have those days where it just didn’t click like the 848 did, it just always managed to put me in the mood

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aaaaaaand …. It’s broken :joy:

managed 80 miles before needed recovery from a mate. Will have a good look tomorrow when I can be arsed. The fuel light flickered on briefly and about 1/2 a mile later I hit a moderate bump mid corner, the bike just lost all power and coasted to halt. It sounds like it wants to fire but won’t.

Chucked some more fuel in to be safe but there’s more to it. Sounds like it not getting fuel through and front plug was dry. If I flick the key on and off I can see fuel return in the tank, and if I leave it to stand for a while it almost starts but doesn’t quite catch. Thinking possible fuel tank filter blocked .

9. Character…

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nice easy fix, during the mini recommission the shop replaced all the in tank hoses. Main fuel pressure one had managed to pop off slightly causing no pressure and non start. Nice easy fix and shit happens. Should have the ol gal back later ready for a sunny weekend ahead :cool:

11. Well she’s back home and running spot on again.

Also found the tail piece is a perfect coffee tray :upyeah::D 1D04F538-E232-4077-A18D-E175E584D6B4.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. May as well keep this up to date.

and it’s broken again :joy:. Another easy fix and once again paid for by the dealer, can’t fault their service at all . Clutch slave spewed all the fluid out resulting in an epic stall after filtering to the front of the queue. Nothing like your wife hysterically laughing on the intercom as she blasts off leaving me looking like a twat:rolleyes:

phoned dealer this morning at told him new Oberon one was £100 delivered, he offered me to return bike and they sort it , or he could pay and I sort it… needless to say quickest route was me dealing with it so he transferred the money immediately.

After being pointed in the right direction by Andy, I’ve got one arriving tomorrow from Moto Rapido so top service there.

Here’s a gratuitous pic of the bike when working
    FEAB0DBC-FA22-495C-BADB-974DB0BC04A3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Well, what can I say
    247FB9B5-9FCA-4D39-9A10-F70813393FC5.jpeg

Just another day in the 748 saga. Brand new genuine fuel hoses fitted by supplying dealer last month. 280 miles later and a hose has failed for the second time. I only use super unleaded E5 so wouldn’t expect fuel hose failure so soon .
    E82F5306-5CDE-4E00-B890-9BC4821C798A.jpeg F46127E7-0AFA-4EAC-9515-2CF6C67E257C.jpeg

off to find something more decent than OEM tomorrow, something that will last more than 200 miles would be nice !!

14. I’m curious when you look at the end does it have a mesh built into the rubber or just complete rubber,

15. there is a very thing single strand braid around the pipe , not worth a lot IMO

6C5F54AE-F04E-4ACE-AE1A-448AADE5E10C.png

16. That looks like the wrong grade pipe to me, see how the rubber has swollen that’s not submersible fuel pipe! The pump runs at a surprisingly high pressure and degraded rubber will split.
    I remember Land Rover head gaskets used to pop and let oil into the water system causing the same affect.
    Petrochemical and rubber don’t mix well at all.

17. Those are recently replaced OEM pipes from Ducati about 3 weeks ago. Agreed on how much they have swollen though !
    Going to get some better hose shortly and see how long that lasts

18. :motorcycleduc::motorcycleduc:It’s not entirely unheard of for Ducati to have a bad batch of rubber!
    Like a lot of companies, outsourcing to China saves money but also has its drawbacks!

if I remember right I butchered a short length of pipe off one of my external pipes and used that! It’s the same rubber, hasn’t come from China and hasn’t been exposed to oil or uv due to where it’s placed.
    A helpful hack to get you moving if your stuck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. And all sorted, again.

Only this time I’ve done it myself, and properly. The little short hose from filter pump pump housing is the one that split, and I can see why. The hoses are 8mm but the barb on the tank housing is much bigger at roughly 9/10mm. When fitting the hose on the pump housing the most common thing to do would use a twisting motion back and forth as you push downwards. That sadly weakens the walls of the pipe and makes it more prone to fatigue. I feel this is most likely what was done and what cause the failure. Also found the pipe clips were past their best and one was actually stripped so didn’t tighten fully.

Theres a reason I alway do my own work on my bikes and this just reinforced my stance. 3 breakdowns and all avoidable IMO.

Anyways it gave me an excuse for another 50 mile road test and the bike performed faultlessly. Hopefully that’s the end of it… till next week :joy:

• Like Like x 5
  20. So the headlight on the bike looks fine with the fairings on, but were pointing at the stars. I couldn’t adjust them via the little hole so pulled the upper cowl off. That’s when I found the light had been broken in half at some point and glued together, badly. Also the Mag casing has been powder coated black and the idiots didn’t take the adjust screw out, so that’s seized in to buggery.

9E367B85-AA68-4FDB-8D3E-74AB69C150F9.jpeg 2E606B4C-DCFF-482C-B711-74799F10BEFE.jpeg 14281F38-1B95-4B24-88E5-FA503F0EB1D0.jpeg

so after a hunt on eBay and finding people wanting more for second hand units than Ducati wanted for brand new, I managed to find someone who had a damaged light for sale. They had a smashed main beam lens and there are no replacements available. A deal was done and the light promptly arrived. Light is in great condition apart from usual misty projector lens and smashed main beam lens !

FBAC78ED-4A25-4B74-9CD3-7FCB27F6987C.jpeg 1500FE8F-29D2-42A1-8ED1-48C7C6E29EC1.jpeg AC28DFE1-FC1D-4475-923F-78BAD03EAC9F.jpeg

first step was to throw the lights in the oven at 100 deg Celsius for around 10min, then remove broken lens. This was actually much harder than taking off a complete normal lens as it kept splintering and breaking up further.
    81C4EC2F-3A89-4C5A-B179-E2E20707F1BC.jpeg

Next up is the dipped beam side. As you can see it doesn’t look bad and is t really misty like some. But once you strip it down you see how dirty the project is.

091E1B3A-9553-4EE0-A9C3-B2A1D451972A.jpeg

Before a good clean

06E9D9E1-D73C-4367-BB3A-3DB77FC7864E.jpeg

after cleaning, significantly cleaner !

C0E66BEE-0A5A-4112-8379-8E75CBE3B359.jpeg

and reassembled ready for me to take old light apart and swap lens over
    307ED249-0548-4E95-AC29-AEF8124020C8.jpeg 5B583F62-5C69-4F23-A41F-FB6539913490.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information