1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Renovated A Ducati 748 Temp Gauge...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Dinozoiks, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Made my day

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hard to say (yet). It’s printed in PLA filament which is pretty durable but not as “bendy” as ABS or nylon. That said, if it’s ever in the situation where it gets a decent smack, enough to smash it, I’ve probably got bigger things to worry about, like my teeth. PLA is pretty good until the temperature gets above 70°C, but it’s also bonded to the gauge, so not expecting any warping to happen
    I was mindful of the sunlight causing issues, so I used 2 coats of black rattle-can and 2 coats of satin clear coat to stop any UV degradation.
    To be fair, it can’t be any worse than the OEM part, which as far as I can tell, is made of pasta.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Luckily, I still have a day job that keeps me a little too busy but the idea of becoming an artisan gauge repairer is really quite attractive. If I make another, I’ll let you know. ✊

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Great work :upyeah:

5. Very impressive piece of work. Looks immaculate. Well done.

6. I was shown how to remove the bezel from Ducati Gauges by the once owner of Superdials. He used to lance the edge of the bezel and body of the gauge with a fine soldering tip. He then inserted a blunt letter opening knife, the very short kind and prised off the bezel by gentle turning. He did a number of my dials over the years and all were perfect with no damage.

He used the soldering iron after the fix to close the hole up that he had made to split the dial.

• Like Like x 1
  7. B997678E-04A0-448F-809F-CBF86C45D201.jpeg

I kind of knew that this would come up red, I remember from last time, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You only have to look at the section that Dino has kindly provided to see that the above just isn’t possible every time without sometimes having to sacrifice the bezel due to the location of the bonding adhesive.

8. Brilliant!!

9. In my case, this never happened and I put this down to the experience of those at Supdials who always managed a faultless job. I agree it's not for the faint-hearted, but having witnessed it being done on all my dials I can only comment on that.

10. The original profile required the 'glass' to be recessed in the bezel (the notch at the top). Which seems to be the reason the glass gets stressed as the black plastic expands and contracts. My "simpler" version allowed a disc of perspex to be offered-up and glued from beneath.
    [​IMG]
    The interface where it sits on the gauge body is pretty small. [​IMG]

Dunno if that helps planning where to stick a thing in to release it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I have a set of these which use glass instead of plastic inside the bezels. I've yet to fit them as my ordinary bezels are still OK at the moment. These have been machined and then anodised. The other photo is my DP dials as fitted by Superdials.

IMG_0439.JPG

Clocks 998 .jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. [​IMG]
    PNG is here...
    https://www.dino.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/bezel-dimensions2.png

Plus here as a PDF...
    https://www.dino.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/bezel-dimensions.pdf

or you can have a look at the actual file on the (excellent and free) TinkerCad...
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/jm5lHuxz5tK-ducati-748916-temp-gauge-bezel

Hope that helps!

** Sorry, deleted the original message as the image had a duff dimension and wouldn't delete itself from the post. Apologies for the faff.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information