1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 I Thought That Sounds Bad! And I Was Right

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ian 748, May 18, 2020.

1. First ride this year and I'd been having a great time, then just exiting a mini roundabout and all power's lost. Thought the chain had come off with the racket it made so whipped in the clutch and had a quick look. Chain still on so now thinking that's bad, and it was.
    DSC_2207.JPG
    DSC_2209.JPG
    I've only had a quick look as yet and damage appears to be on the vertical cylinder only. The cams turn and valves open and close. Rotate the cams fully however and both are binding terribly.
    Anyone what some used belts? They only have 130 miles on them
    DSC_2213.JPG
    I think I'll go and stand over here with TelRobinson.:oops:

#1 Ian 748, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • WTF WTF x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. It’s my fault..... I’m sorry

3. Oh shit!
    Fingers crossed. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  4. How did that happen? What’s the cause?

5. Was the tensioner done the wrong way?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. Looks like the back of the belt has melted - seized idler roller?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Broken belt...

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Looks like some delamination on there too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. What sort of battery does the bike have?..... Lithium :astonished:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Oh mate, not good at all. The tensioner seized on mine and cocked mine up. Hopefully you minimised the damage by switching it off quick

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tensioner is rotated the correct way.

• Love You Love You x 1
  12. Sorry for your loss dude... at least one belt looks ok...

• Like Like x 1
  13. This is my personal nightmare!

If you find the cause, can you update us? Did you fit the belts?

Was it a genuine belt, or one of Exige's dodgy ones?

Sorry, sorry, sorry, Exige, that was a weak attempt at a joke. I use the same make as you sell and I will be buying ST3 belts from you when I get the bike back.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Indeed, ours are the bestist :blush:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Actually, I did buy my ST2 belts from you. Just remembered (as I was getting more beer) that I did buy from you - just not through the forum. Either I was not on the forum, then, or didn't realise that you are the supplier.

16. Toast mine and add onion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. First ride of the season, eh?

Possible weak spot created by sitting on the pulley all winter? Very sorry to see that. :(

I'm just as guilty. Fired up the 916 for the first time since October the other day and rode off for 25 miles. Was just keen to hit the road, so didn't bother checking much apart from oil level and tire pressure.

Could've been any of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Think il get the belts changed on my 996 soon. It has been 4 years since they were done last :astonished:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. 99.99 % of times it's a fitment or other mechanical issue and in this case it deffo looks mechanical - the poor belt is still in a ring so it did very well not to snap! :eek:
    But 4 years (even if low mileage) is starting to increase that slim percentage mentioned above.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. my belts were 2.5 years on on my 848 and I checked them in Feb and tbh they looked really cruddy and a bit dry. I personally think that in my case, my garage is quite moist, but my previous garage was part of the house and I'm not sure that them drying out is a good thing for them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information