1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 I Thought That Sounds Bad! And I Was Right

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ian 748, May 18, 2020.

1. Belts and time.....plenty run them 5 years and more, others every year.

Looks a shitter mate that for sure

2. But where can you buy them?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Just looking at those pics turns my stomach... Sorry this has happened to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. That's really awful, good luck with the repairs.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If you are sure you or your mechanic fitted them to spec and that there is no underlying mechanical issues to cause its failure, I would look to return the belts to the supplier for analysis.

It could be a manufacturing defect that has caused the failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hope you saved it, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. What make are the belts?

8. Because I left my ST3 at my brother's house in January last year, and because of my crash, the ST2 (which I was in the middle of a valve him check when I had my accident in March last year, then neither bike has been run for over a year.

The ST3 is a 09 bike and will still be on the original belts (due to stupidly low mileage when I bought it a couple of years ago) and the ST2 had new belts fitted before I started the valve check (I did ran it after the belt change to assure my self that all was good).

So the ST2 is probably good because the belts are so new but the ST3 has stood idle for over a year with belts 10 years old.

The question is: do I risk riding the ST3 back from Salisbury (about 60 miles) before changing the belts, or not risk it?

• Crap Crap x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  9. See post #1

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. So, because I can't ride until god knows when and the ST3 definitely needs a new battery, aside from the belt issue, it would seem sensible to get it back to my gaf to sort out - it also needs a nearside mirror that I've got here but I was going to ride it back without - who needs mirrors!

These people could do it. Anyone go any experience?
    upload_2020-5-19_12-38-7.png

Sorry to hijack the thread!

11. :eek:

12. Try @Dirty Leeds he does it for a living.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Gotta be cheaper to shift it in a van than rebuild a motor ... potentially.
    Really sorry for the op's catastrophe btw.
    Puddy :)

14. I changed my first belts on my ST4 after 14 years and lots of standing time (from memory about 7,000-ish miles) so you are probably within the realms of not being an issue, however, for the cost of a van and man whilst you are still recovering it's probably cheap peace of mind :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Could always take a set of belts and change them before riding home.

16. Yeah, I've booked it now. I've emailed my solicitor to see if we can reclaim it. The argument being that I was going to go and get it on the weekend after my accident but can't now.

I have been down to my brother's to check out the bike at Christmas. I couldn't start it as the battery was useless. So with not being able to ride (due to strength and eyesight), having no insurance (it lapsed and I didn't see any value in renewing as I couldn't ride), having no kit (all destroyed), it just made sense to get it bought back.

When I have it back here, next month, I can do the belts, change the battery, plus I've got a LH mirror to fit (the original got smashed).

I've emailed my solicitor as I think that the other side should pay.

They do pay for some things, but I find insurance difficult to understand. Whilst paying for some things, they steadfastly deny any liability but pay for stuff anyway.

I had to get a taxi to go to my Mum's funeral a while back. I sent the receipt to my sol and they paid up in days. Somehow (and I really don't understand this) my sol emails me today to say that she has got several hundred off HMRC. What for, or why, I have no idea. Normally for my personal tax, or my company tax, HMRC write or email me directly. If they contact me, then it is to fine me to tell me that I owe them money. But, somehow my sol gets money back off them. I'll take that...especially as I'm not paying any solicitor fees!

17. Nowhere to work and no tools. The bike is in a garage but it is a junk store effectively. Much easier to work on here as I've got tools and a bike lift.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sorry for starting a thread then leaving it hanging folks just very busy is all.:blush:
    Thank you for the sympathy and well wishes for the repair, I'm not sure when that will happen at the minute but it will.
    I like how this forum can influence your train of thought when you're up shit creek looking for something to paddle with. Not most of it obviously...:joy: anyways post 27 made me think, you know, that is absolutely the right thing to do, and for a few reasons. So a fast response followed a quick email and the belts are being returned after a quite sincere request for analysis. I'm not sure exactly what that entails but we'll see I guess. So thanks again for the kind words and to final edition for the prompt, I'd still be in the shed huffing, puffing and cussing.

• Like Like x 13
  19. Good luck! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information