1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 I Thought That Sounds Bad! And I Was Right

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ian 748, May 18, 2020.

1. So none of the Idlers or Pulleys are seized then ?

Nothing sharp in there the belt could have rubbed against?

That would be a fantastic result if the manufacture acccepts it’s a product default and pays for the rebuild :upyeah: Fingers crossed.

2. At this moment I see nothing obvious but I'll look again this weekend.
    I hope between us we find the cause what ever it may be and I'm happy they are keen to help do that. Worse than my current situation is repair and rebuild not knowing why it happened. That would be in the back of my mind every rideo_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I have heard of a similar situation where the suspected cause was a bit of rocker flaking off and getting stuck in the top works inside the head resulting is a camshaft seizure and stripped belt, that wouldn't help in your case of manufacturing fault, may be worth opening up an inspection cover to see if there is any obvious damage to rocker plating or drop the oil and check the mesh filter? Hope it's not too bad inside the head for you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Even easier just pull the plugs, put it in gear and turn it over you’ll soon see if everything is moving as it should. However, having said that the head’s gonna have to come off to check inside anyway at some point so I guess it’s all kinda academic.

5. Unlikely with no belts on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ah, yes, well, there was a little bit of the belt left (he says in a vain attempt to hide his complete and utter embarrassment at posting such a numpty post without having thought it through) :worried::pensive:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. His third picture shows both belts off.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Ok ok ok, you win, I should have scrolled back to see and remind myself, I’m going off in a sulk now :sob:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  9. Jeez Birdie, let the man recoil in peace.. no need to kick him when he's down ;-)

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. There is every point!Infact let everyone point at him and laugh when he comes back!:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. My sol said that she/we could claim. She wants the invoice but I haven't paid yet! She confirmed that the cost is definitively claimable.

The whole thing is quite bizarre. My brother reckons that she has 30 grand from the other side to pay for stuff (taxi fares have been paid for before - some by my sol and some by an Independent Claims Assessor - if he says that they should pay, then they pay , no argument. Like, I was going swimming before the lock down and they paid for the taxi - no argument, yet this is the insurance company that denies responsibility and liability!

This is my World, at the moment. A World of crazy sh1t!!!

12. Not sure if it applies to this engine but with the 999 it's important to check the pulleys with a straight edge as it's easy to not get the top hat spacers properly seated.

13. All my rockers are newmanised so that won't be an issue Harry but thanks for the thought.

Well I've had a better look and found the cam bearings belt side are binding. Both inlet and exhaust with the inlet faring worse. Both feel pretty much ok when rocking back and forth lifting the valves, but feel awfull for the rest of the revolution with no load on them. Take the cams out and turn the carrier however and I can't feel any side play just rolling so very slightly rough. It looks to me like the bearings have failed and or the cams bent perhaps?
    On the pluss side Newman rocker faces are in great order, I just hope none prove to be bent. All valves open smoothly and appear to close, I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one. All pulleys, idlers and tensioners feel good with no sharp areas. I took a deep breath and popped the endoscope in the plug hole, not the best quality pics but it did show I may have a fighting chance. Screenshot_20200523-122127.png Screenshot_20200523-122508.png 20200523123507.jpg 20200523123515.jpg Screenshot_20200523-122653.png Right then, Beer o'clock I reckon.:)

Screenshot_20200523-122558.png

• Like Like x 5
  14. No it's a different set up but thanks any way:upyeah:

15. Still fingers crossed for you then. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. If the cams are stiff to turn when on the base circle I reckon you have bent valves.
    The closing rockers are trying to pull the valves further against the seat when part of the valve is already touching

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Thank you for that and it explains what I feel perfectly. It's also much more likely why both cams would be affected. Hopefully I'll get to look later.

18. For the valve seat to be bent it must have come into contact with the piston and whilst it’s difficult to tell conclusively from the endoscope photos it doesn’t look like there was any contact (which is a good thing). For a definitive answer the head will have to be removed so the valves & piston head can be inspected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fingers crossed for the recovery, no one minds a bit of work and lets hope that's all it is.

It was on a car but I had a similar event. I asked a friend who normlly you can trust to change the cam belt and water pump on the car, he did but he didn't check the lateral movement of the pulleys as he thought it was just a straight belt change and didn't check, sometime after, screech bang, stop.

I then asked someone who wasn't that friend :D and found the bearings of the pulleys had indeed worn and the lateral movement had caused enough movement for the belt to impact the parts they should have not, similar to a buckled wheel on a bicycle.

Anyway, you sound like you have enough ability to get this put right Ian and I hope you can get it fixed intime to enjoy the summer when we all get the instruction to crack on bikewise. I'm looking forward to seeing your bike get back to rude health :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Oh dear, you would have hoped that would have been picked up regardless at some point of installation. Its possible it wasn't noticable at the time or it just failed quickly I suppose. However it happened you found a cause and that's what I'm hoping for, or at least a most likely. Hopefully the fix won't take aslong as I think it will:)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information