1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 I Thought That Sounds Bad! And I Was Right

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ian 748, May 18, 2020.

1. I hoped and thought the same from the pics Paul. As soon as I read ducv2's post though I knew he was correct. I had a look again and it turns out all my closer clearances start with a minus. I need to start thinking where to take it and start saving for that phone call. It used to be bad enough waiting for the rockers call for christ sake:D

2. I think the fault was mine. The slight screeching from the water pump I suspect, hid the rattle from the tensioner bearings, cest la vie.

with the announcement that car dealers are opening next week, I suspect bike shops will too so hopefully you can get any parts/help you need. I notice you are Northants, I pressume you know Baines racing?

3. Going by your pictures of the piston top as well, the valves must just have kissed the piston. Hopefully if this is the case you will get away with 4 new valves and a reshim.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Or even just the 2 valves if really lucky?

My Son's car cambelt broke last year, it took out the exhaust valves but the intakes were untouched.

5. Yes I dropped in Baines years ago when looking for a service. Wherever it's going it's going in a van so distance won't be an issue. When things settle down I think I'll ring round to see what different places suggest.
    Thanks for the glass half full thoughts :upyeah:I could do with a change of luck that's for sure. Other than to change piston rings and rockers, everytime I've worked on the bike there has been no extended damage I've been looking for so I'm lacking experience for sure. I have no idea how far checks will need to go so, take the bike or just the engine?

6. I would just take the engine. Or whip the head off and take that.
    I broke a belt on an 851, and just needed new valves. When the belts go, the valves don't stay open, the cams snap back to the closed position and go no further. Sometimes you can get away with not bending any valves....

• Useful Useful x 3
  7. What caused the belts to go - was it tensioned badly - wrong direction or?

8. That’s what we’d all like to know...

9. Tensioned on the money with the gates app and checked a few times over two days. Twisting the belt in an effort for confirmation felt right also. Tensioner was rotated correctly, all pulleys and rollers are good and rotate freely. Amongst other jobs I'd changed the oil and filter so the engine was left running until the fan cut in with no issues or unusual noise.
    OK thanks :upyeah:im starting to get the urge to have a look first now. I'm thinking see what I think then let a pro have a look and see if I was in the ball park.

10. If you want to check the valves for correct seating by filling the ports with paraffin or whatever, take the cams out first leaving the closing rockers to pull the valves gently shut.
    If you do it with the cams in and turn them until they are pulling the valves shut, then they will seat and you will not see any leakage.
    If you get my drift.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thank you for the guidance, I'll put it on the checklist. So I'm assessing using spring pressure only :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information