1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Wear Glasses - Which Helmets Work?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by MotoNik, Mar 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Had Shoei lids for years which were always fine with glasses.
    Switched to a Shark Spartan Carbon a couple of years ago which also fits with glasses well for me. The internal dark visor isn't a problem either.
    But its not as good quality or as quiet as the Shoeis I've had.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Shark evoline 3. Flip w internal sun visor, the chin piece goes all way back for open face mode. No need to take glasses off and balance them on seat and then poke them in helmet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Shark evoline 3 also, used daily with glasses no issues. Other helmets of mine have had to be modified though.

Yes; for sena bluetooth mounting point. For microphone & earplug routing, its only toughened polystyrene on the inner layer of most helmets. Just get hacking it back a bit to release pressure on forehead/ear cut outs not deep enough.
    [​IMG]
    Have you never modified a helmet with say some window tint, so on a summer day you don't have to carry sunglasses, you just paste a strip with some thinned washing liquid to the inside upper region.

Example in the picture shown, the furthest back bell mx5 has a strip on the visor about 2" thick.

#23 GunZenBomZ, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Have been wearing glasses for years unfortunately but have had no problems with AGV the last one being a K3. Now use a HJC RPHA 11 which is fine and came with a light tint visor. Internal sun visor on the AGV was terrible as it just distorts everything. Also no issues with the Schubert S2. Agree with some of the comments that it does depend on the size and thickness of the arms on your glasses.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Has anyone used the same glasses as Bradley Ray, Oakley Crosslink ??

6. Shame ..they do some good lid's. Worth trying a bunch of brands / models though to find what works best for you with bins on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. That's the plan - hoping to try and get round a few bike shops over the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I bought a new crash helmet last year, first time since I’ve needed glasses.

My opinion was the ones that were designed for glasses wearers weren’t any better, ended up just trying them on with my glasses until I found a comfortable one.

So I’d say you’re doing the right thing going round and trying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Helmet city have a few stores & good range of lids. If you find a store locally, its worth giving them a ring to make sure they have the helmets you are interested in in-stock. As the web sites can lie about availability..

10. I've only ever had Shoei lids (well 2 of them) and stuffing glasses in has been no problem, snug enough to stay put but not too tight to be uncomfortable. Prescription sunglasses and clear bins

11. Helmet City in West Bay is nearby, so I think I'll try and get over there at the weekend. Good selection and no pressured selling, which I like!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. i have used glasses with AGV's and all work well. i use contacts as well but not that often
    i have Oakley Halftracks that have straight flexible arms.
    if i use my X Lite i have to remove the earsocks to get the on. once on though they fit perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I’ve had Oakley glasses for a few years wearing them with your helmet makes the rubber grips on the arms go “gummy” quicker.
    No problems with glasses with Arai tour x, RX7 or shoei gt air

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. I might end up going Arai Tour X4, depending on what else I can find.

15. I've used daily disposables which are the soft ones and only use up the in my predominant eye so I can still see the dash works for me

16. Cant comment on helmets as they've all advanced since I last wore glasses and contacts but I can defo recommend RLE (refractive lens exchange) Best money I have ever spent I my whole lifetime, Was a life changer :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. In theory I like the idea of that, although the procedure itself seems like it might be mildly terrifying?!

18. Worst bit was having to travel 500miles round trip to get each eye done, At the time each eye had to be done a week apart but this isnt the case anymore, The surgery is a walk in the park with a bit of discomfort for a few days after, The decision wasn't very hard for me tbh as I was having big problems with contacts partly to do with been an hgv mechanic and in a very dirty environment most of the time, Glasses just drove me crazy, Was about 7ish years ago I had it done,
    Tbh I can see the concerns on going down this route if you don't mind glasses

19. I don't mind glasses most of the time, except when it's raining...which it seems to do with alarming regularity in this lovely country of ours!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the approximate cost?

20. I got quoted £5500 but funnily enough it came down to £4700 when I said I would go home to think about it, Knocked £800 of if deposit was put down while I was there, When I had it done it was free lifetime aftercare,
    Father in law had RLE 5 month ago, Cost him £6500:astonished: Things are done a little different now, I know he had both eyes done together at same time,
    Both mine and his were carried out by optical express

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information