1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Wear Glasses - Which Helmets Work?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by MotoNik, Mar 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cheers @jack999s , I was going to query you on the cost.

2. Thought about this for a long time now. Been nosey can you tell me if you now have 100% on near & distant or just 1 of those. I.e do you need reading glasses.

3. The technology behind the lenses is moving really fast. When I had my cataracts done 3 years ago, varifocal replacement lenses were too leading edge. My surgeon advised me to stick with single vision and astigmatism correction. After more than 50 years of being very short sighted, I am now glasses free except for reading. In the intervening 3 years, lens manufacture has moved on so varifocal replacement lenses seem to be the norm. I was lucky to have one of the UK’s leading lens replacement surgeons working at the Hampshire Clinic in Old Basing and whilst I miss the ability of short sight to get really close to objects, I’ve not looked back. I do still spend a fortune on sun glasses which I lose or sit on or in the case of the last pair, got nicked. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes that's why I asked as that would be no good for me on the bike looking distant & then close on dash etc. I had heard they were doing a lens with various prisms which gave you the ability to have both far & close. Not heard of anyone who has had it done though.

5. I have heard of at least one person who had lens replacement with his distance sight in one eye and near sight vision in the other which I know some short sighted contact wearers do. Apparently the brain sorts it out. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. My left eye is very good, My right eye im slightly short sighted in (always have been) After having the surgery my eyes are as good as they ever were with glasses or contacts, I wouldn't say there 100% they never have been or never will be whether corrected with glasses/ contacts or RLE but with the RLE the sights as good as ive ever had, Had both distance long and short corrected, Would say I have very good sight, No I don't require reading glasses and distance is very good, What I will say is my eyes are more sensitive to light compared to before the surgery, Sun glasses are a must if very sunny and also if I was to walk into a dark room and switch on fluorescent lights my eyes take 15 secs or so to adapt, Its a little strange but doesn't last long, These 2 side affects really don't annoy at all once used to it, Due an eye test in a few weeks so see what there saying then, cant mind what my prescription was before the surgery but my sight was not good,
    Took around 5 to 6 months for the eyes to get to there best after surgery, Used to see halo rings pretty bad for 6 to 8 month if outside where there was lights but after a year or so I am completely clear from that now,
    That's about it really, There are side affects and small risks as with any surgery but like I said the decision was very easy for me as I was so fed up with my sight and the hassle contacts gave me, If contacts or glasses were perfectly ok I probably wouldn't have even thought about surgery but glad I did,
    Like I said it was maybe 7 or so years ago now and hard to recall how crap my eyes were,
    I took there interest free option over 4 years as it was a no brainer

#46 jack999s, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Yep took around 6 month for the brain to relearn, Some can be longer

8. What about driving at night especially in the rain. I ask because a friend had his eyes done some years ago & that's one of the things he does not like about it. That & always looking drunk because of his shiny eyes.

9. No shiny eyes :),
    Driving at night is no different than before, Was terrible though for the first 6-7 month(mainly due to the halo's which the rain made worse), Like I mentioned the sun is the biggest bugger, Always keep shades close by, Don't have that problem on bike as I always use tinted visors but saying that its the road legal ones I use not the dark black ones,
    Just had a look in emails and it was actually start of 2013 I had it done so not as long ago as I thought,
    Isnt Laser an option for you? I planned to go down that route first but wasn't compatable

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. My eyesight has always been good in both eyes until my late 40's when I started to struggle looking at close up text etc. I spent years using the cheap reading glasses. It was only a couple of years ago I started to notice things like motorway signs not being legible until I got fairly close. I then bought 1.0 glasses from boots. Which were great & solved the distance. But now I ride the bike a lot in summer I cannot wear 1.0 lens as I cannot see close up sat nav, dash etc. Hence I spent nearly £400 having varifocals made. They are very good but a pain in the arse taking them on & off with Helmet. The new glasses are 1.0 distance & I think it was 2.25 close.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Hadn’t appreciated that eye surgery had come on so much. I have to say I’m still sceptical - eyes are precious and delicate, but the idea of being glasses free definitely appeals. Thank you for the (wait for it....) insight!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Agreed. My HJC and AGV just look pretty at home. The C3 goes riding with my specs.

13. Tried some helmets yesterday. I'm in-between a L and XL with a Shoei. Liked the Schuberth - still have to take my glasses off to put on, but I quite like the idea of having a flip-up (although maybe I'll wait until I've passed the half century!). Fit was ok - not the nicest, but quite acceptable.

Also tried on a Vozz - peculiar thing that opens up at the back and you insert your head into the back of it, then click it shut. No chin strap required, and I could put it on with my glasses on. Really clever design, and very comfy. Ugly as sin though - I just couldn't get on with how it looks.

http://www.vozzhelmets.com/

Didn't see any other brands I like the look of - in terms of the actual look/design of the helmet.

Ended up going with another Arai. I evidently have an Arai shaped head - the fit is just right - as soon as I pulled it on my head I could feel it was just right. Easy to get glasses on an off. Decision made.

14. The thing with Shoei is that there are 3 sizes of cheek pads for each shell size. I was always a Shoei Large until they revisited the shell style for the X-Spirit III when I had togo up to XL but put in the larger cheek pads to make it just right. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Hiya, i wear glasses too, but it wasn't the helmet i changed it was the glasses. I could not get on with the specs i had with arms that came down behind my ears. I could just no get them to sit right so i got new glasses with straight arms that slide straight inside the lid

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks - I'll be looking at this at some point, as I'm overdue new specs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Arai Chaser X is fine with my glasses on - they are behind the ear standard glasses not straight arms. Comfortable, no worries. Richard

Do Not Sell My Personal Information