1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If You Had A Time Machine.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Zhed46, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Knew I could rely on @Philm

2. 1743. i would hang about some standing stones and fain a sore bobey.

3. Speak like that in 1743 and they’d have hung you as a sorcerer.

4. fug em.

5. Yeah - would have to be a visit,or a member of the landed gentry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pre-white man north america.
    Hunting and fishing by day, squaw shagging at night...:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Haha, sorry mate but seriously you should have seen this custard slice! It was epic! Anyway Adam made me say it!!lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. We all seem to want a stylised version of the period in history we've chosen without the starvation, deprivation and disease in which case I'm off to ancient Rome around the time of Vespasian, 1st Century AD.
    Pax Romana covered almost all of Europe, apart from one village of stroppy Gauls. A single market and currency from Scotland to Greece and from Portugal to the Carpathian mountains. Religious tolerance, social mobility, the aqueduct, sanitation, the roads, Irrigation, Medicine, Education, public baths and the wine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plus, mass crucifixions, enslavement of rebels and a civil war back in Rome when Vespasian was inflicting those sort of brutalities on the Jews in the (2nd?) Judaean War.

Even if you are able to choose your social standing in your destination time/place, it was almost as dangerous to be a member of the elite as it was to be a pleb in Rome as they were all killing and denouncing each other most of the time.

Nah. Just give me a spear, a wolf, a cave, a couple of dozen clan mates and some wilderness where we can mind our own business. I’ll drink from and bathe in the river, thanks, so you can keep your aqueducts and public baths

I do like the idea of a single market stretching from the border of Asia all the way to Scotland though....:p

10. There are uninhabited islands you could go and do this on once the Covid travel restrictions are lifted. I'd recommend you skip having a wolf, they can be unruly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Do they have wifi and 97RON petrol?

One of my exes was in an early series of the Channel 4 show “Shipwrecked” and she said that while it was fun at first, the biting insects, lacerations from sharp rocks that took ages to heal, constantly being covered in sweat, sand, mud or all 3, spending most of each day just taking care of basic needs and never feeling clean got quite wearing after a while.

#31 Zhed46, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1

12. Careful pal. Culloden in three years .

13. The basic feeding of yourself will take up almost all your daylight hours. Unless you are OK with coconut everyday which you could survive on and remain healthy. The amount of work it takes to penetrate the inland areas of the island are years of work especially using a stone age tools.

You are already living in the best time to be alive -even though you might need to move to a better location to experience more of the benefits. No need for a time machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. yip, but Z didnt say you couldnt take something back with you. UZI 9mm anyone?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. “Someone”, not “something”. So you’d need to take the inventor Maj Uziel Gal back with you and have him fashion a mini-sub machine gun out of heather and melted down claymores

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. At 600 rounds per minute, you'd want to take a chocolate one so you could eat it after you ran out of ammo.

17. thats just silly, there aint no heather in an uzi.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm sure her name's heather
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. thats just silly too. it would melt before two shots were fired. ah fug it. it's too much hassle. i aint going now.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. You wouldn’t need 600 rounds though. If fact you would probably be able to subdue a much larger force and possibly conquer and rule simply after firing 60 or even 6 rounds. Not only would that demonstrate the appearance of overwhelming firepower but as Arthur C Clarke said, “Any technology, sufficiently advanced, would have the appearance of magic”. Those were very religious times and it would have been a fairly easy job to convince them that you’re an angel or similar.

It’s thought that one of the reasons the Spanish found it so easy to conquer the indigenous populations of central and South America wasn’t so much their superior military might but because they appeared like Gods to them, arriving in huge ships with enormous white expenses of sail and then travelling everywhere on iron armour clad horses, and they became debilitatingly demoralised as a result.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information