1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Improving Power To Weight Ratio: Ideas Please

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Outliar, Sep 11, 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Think it is down to money, you can go crazy on it.
    The single seat sub frame will make a difference as it is a lot lighter being made of aluminum vs the steel of the biposto one.
    I have both here and the aluminum one almost feels like half the weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Do you have a monoposto undertray already?

3. Buy a newer lighter bike...:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Pre race tip out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Prompted by Bradders’ post, I started wondering what level of weight saving
    I Don’t think so - I assume it’s the standard biposto unit as is the current subframe. I just have a monoposto seat unit.

6. That would be logical! Only I love the 996. Would love a 996SPS but the cost to change would be rather more and I’m not flush with cash right now.

7. Never thought of that. What a bloody good idea! Thanks

8. Very possible to get a 996 under an 899. Mike got his sub 155kg IIRC but he did go balls out into mag, ti, carbon everything. That was with an 1198 motor fitted too

• Like Like x 1
  9. But isn’t the 1198 engine about 15kgs lighter anyway...
    I’ve done all the above, fitted most of the lightest bits possible.
    Ti bolts everywhere including engine mounting bolts and swing arm spindle. Carbon fibre bodywork including the 21 litre tank. BST wheels, lithium battery, mono sub frame.
    Only thing left to do is the engine blueprint.

Probably lost maybe 15 to 20 kgs off the initial biposto std bike. It has cost me a fortune but have enjoyed every minute working on it and it is a stunning bike.

Worth the money I’ve pumped into it? Is it bollocks! I could have bought a brand new panigale with the money.
    But I love the bike and wouldn’t change it for any other bike at the moment.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Don’t know. It had a modded 853 sps motor in it before and was pretty light. Iirc there was considerable, kilos, in the swingarm and yokes. And his battery was probably 300 grams!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Why don't you phone ncr in Italy they can make you a titanium frame and a titanium swing arm. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Went out of business last year mate. :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. @bettes did they by fuck! I actually had a price of them for a 748 swing arm in titanium was £25000 :joy: , thought they were big in Italy ??

14. Or pierbon...

• Like Like x 1
  15. ...I went down the route on my old TLR, lighter wheels, carbon tank, etc...but what really made the bike quicker was me...by booking into a race school

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Appreciate what yr saying, but in all honesty by the time you've spent, spent and spent some more, you'll still be coming up short against a newer/modern bike.
    The older bikes are by far the prettiest and I understand the desire to keep the look but upgrade the performance.
    Good luck all the same.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Whilst you may want to go for a smaller racing LiPo battery, and I don't know the size of your existing battery, I have a Antigravity ATZ10-12 that I had fitted to the MV for a year. Took that off before part ex'ing it. About half the weight of the one it replaced. Always kept on a LiPo Optimate when not used for extended periods.

[​IMG]

If the size is right (151mm long, 86mm deep and 95mm high) and this won't fit the Mutley (will check later) then I could be convinced to part with these for £180 (for the battery and charger, over £300 new) plus delivery. The latter might be an issue as sending batteries though the post can be problematic.

I'll post back if it doesn't fit (think it's too deep from what I can ascertain on-line).

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information