1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In What Order Clutch Spacers???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HyperActivePaul, May 13, 2020.

1. Hi all,

Ive removed all clutch friction plates, drive plates & spacers out of my clutch basket.

Ive stacked them in the order i took them out BUT I've just noticed that in all the diagrams online & workshop manual it states both spacers go in first BUT mine had the flat spacer at the very back, then a friction plate, then the spacer thats not flat then drive plate, friction, drive etc

Can anyone confirm this is correct???

7DD9AF10-9B75-48F7-968F-3B9E132093A8.png

2. From understanding, the last plate has a bigger hole in the middle to accommodate both spacers??

3. If you go onto newfren’s website and put in your model it helpfully shows you what the plate stack should look like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If yours weren't stacked correctly, could that be the cause of your pin snaps:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nice Find, I had a spare plate when i did mine. Can you understand the diagram? is it telling me to drop one friction plate and two drive ST4S 2002

6. I think it was stacked correctly, the spacers both fit inside the first friction plate, but when removing i think one fell out & i thought it was in the wrong order.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ok so if you were to buy the full OEM replacement clutch kit from them it would have the following:
    7 friction plates with a mean thickness of 3.0mm
    8 drive plates with a mean thickness of 2.0mm
    1 single concave plate with a thikness of 1.5mm and marked on on side (the dished side)

What you find is as time goes by people will swap out plates to make up the stack height, or because bloke on forum said.
    So the diagram is saying put the two drive plates in first, the friction, then convex plate, then friction, then drive and then alternate. This in total will give you a stack height of circa 38.5mm or slightly more uncompressed.

[​IMG]

8. Cheers Sev, What is the diagram below the basket, leave out one flat, one convex and a drive plate?

9. its just an illustration to show you the three different components in the pack.
    So A is the friction plate, B the drive plate and C denotes the convex plate which if its a newfren plate has the U stamped in it, and if its the OEM has a dot stamped in its convex side - so telling you that the stamping should face towards you as you put it in.

Think of it as the tamiya kit that shows you all the individual parts in the box before showing you the assembly instructions.

10. Ah OK even with a picture I was confuzed, Thanks Sev

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sev
    The diagram shows a dished symbol next to the convex plate C. Before reading your explanation about the plate being stamped and which way round it goes, I would have put the convex plate in the other way as per direction of the symbol.
    If you are correct I find the diagram confusing.
    Cheers Gaz

12. Sev
    Sorry just seen notes at bottom of diagram. Do you mean the stamp is on the concave side. The diagram shows a "B" on the concave side.
    Cheers Gaz

13. ok.. ok...
    the description says ( right at the bottom) The convex side is stamped - if I said concave then appologies.
    The actual diagram shows the convex side being face up - or towards you as you put it into the assembly.
    Therefore if you keep either the stamp or the dot in the case of an oem plate facing you then that's the way they intended it. :)

In fact its easier to remove the word convex/concave/dished plate and just word it that the mark, whatever it may be on the 1.5mm plate faces you as you install it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry for not dropping this, I just can't help it.

The wording is a bit misleading - It says "see the mark to understand the direction of convex side" but it shows it stamped on the concave side.
    upload_2020-5-15_12-2-38.png
    As Sevs says it is easier to say "just have the mark facing you as you install it.
    I just wanted to clear up convex / concave definition.

Cheers Gaz
    By the way I am not in Germany, its just a German server.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I had my clutch boxed up on the side and decided to have a look at it Starting at the back in the order you put the plates in I have the following.
    3.5mm friction (with friction facing forward and plain on the back)
    2mm drive
    3mm friction (friction now both sides)
    1.5mm Convex plate (dot forward)
    6 x 3mm friction/2mm drive (ending in a drive).
    It's a 1992 900ss. Quite sure I kept in order, I cut the tie wrap off. Can anyone advise on the first plate rest seem ok..
    Cheers Gaz

16. My understanding, from someone much more knowledgeable on these matters, is that at certain times and for certain models, Ducati did specify putting a friction plate in first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. @nelly and @andyb would be better placed to advise on this @gaz92 but I always went b the stack height taking priority over and above the order of the plates and the orientation of the 1.5mm disc.

And as Old rider says they changed around the order from the factory even on bikes that shared the same engine.

18. I found something online
    http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=25
    May be of interest. I had forgotten I had seen this before.
    Also, I checked my Ducati manual for 900 supersport '91
    20200517_000858_001.jpg
    Seems to mention the first driving plate as 0.137 /3.5mm.
    Cheers Gaz

19. I'd say follow the diagram in your first post - it's the most relevant. There are other threads on here about 939 clutch packs going in 821s to sort out their clutch issues, with accompanying diagrams. A lot of the posts here have been for dry clutches on older 2V models. Up-to-date parts diagram is best for a standard bike with a servo/slipper clutch like yours...

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information